Chapter 12

The Secrets Last Stand

:.Hayden's Pov.:

Once we found dad and Vincent, we made our way back to the Council Room. This ends now. I'm done playing games. I'm ending this. We found the hole where the doors used to be and we made ourselves known.

:.Kody's Pov.:

We were all shocked when fire made it's way back into the room, catching some curtains on fire. I quickly put it out with water but the ambush had already started. I was face to face with Ian and I watched as he put his hands up to show that he wasn't a threat.

"Kody, listen to me. I'm so sorry that I left. I didn't realize it was going to cause that much pain. I thought I was doing what was best for you. But..."

"What was best for me? Are you serious? I needed you. You were supposed to be there for me and you left. You walked away." I yelled. I shot water at him which distracted him enough for me to kick him in the stomach. He doubled over and I kicked him in the face. He ended up on the floor, blood flowing from his nose and mouth. I walked over and placed my foot on his chest.

"Kody, listen to me." He said, weakly. I put more pressure on his chest and he winced, it took some wind out of him. I leaned in closer.

"You are in no position to tell me what to do. I'm done being hurt by you, Ian." I manifested a dagger and looked down at it, turning it in my hand. The hilt was smooth and black, the blade was long and when I tilted it, I could see my reflection in the cold hard steel. I looked down and saw the fear in his eyes, the same fear I felt when he dislocated my shoulder.

"I usually us a bow and arrow, but for you, this seemed appropriate." I pressed down on my foot once more before taking a step back and readying myself.

I was about to strike when someone tackled me to the floor. I quickly stood up and was faced by Hayden. Great.

"Kody, this isn't you. You belong with us. Not them. We care about you, Kody. We love you and you're strong enough..."

"Enough!" I yelled, throwing her into the wall. I quickly grabbed my dagger and faced Ian again. He was standing in front of me with his hands still raised.

"Kody, I was wrong. I should have stayed and worked through everything with you, together, but I made a mistake. People make mistakes. Just like you're about to if you don't put the knife down. Please, just put it down." He said. I felt the anger in me build up inside. It hurt so bad that I thought it was going to kill me as the tears began to fall.

"I can't." I answered.

"Tell me a story." He suddenly said. I looked at him, shocked.

"What?"

"Kody, kill him, we need you over here." I turned to see Malak yelling at me. When I turned back to Ian, he smiled.

"Tell me a story, Kody. About anything. About a...about a mermaid." I felt my heart start pounding and I suddenly couldn't breathe, but I tried.

"Once...in the...deepest part of the...deepest ocean lived a mermaid. A...beautiful mermaid with...with deep auburn...hair and the most purple eyes...anyone has...ever seen. She was sad because...because she was alone..." I felt my knees give out and Ian kneeled in front of me.

"Keep going."

"I can't." I cried, my chest on fire.

"Yes you can. Keep going."