Chapter 4

The Secrets Last Stand

:.Hayden's Pov.:

After we got home, Kody didn't say a word to anyone. She just cleaned up the kitchen and before taking a shower and going to bed. Dad didn't say anything either, he just went to his room and locked the door.

"Hayden, come on. They'll work it out. And maybe she'll come around. Maybe she'll stay." Vincent said, trying to cheer me up. It wasn't working.

"What if she doesn't, Vincent? What if she doesn't stay? She'll forget about everything. She'll forget us." He just took my hand and pulled me to him. He wrapped his arms around me and instantly, I felt safe.

"Vincent, it hurts her to see him and we just keep throwing her at him."

"Hayden, go to sleep. Stop thinking about this. She can take care of herself." Vincent said, clearly annoyed. I just settled into bed and closed my eyes.

"I know she can. It doesn't mean she does."

:.Kody's Pov.:

I was walking back from the kitchen when I heard Hayden and Vincent.

"Hayden, go to sleep Stop thinking about this. She can take care of herself." Vincent said, annoyed over whatever they were talking about. It was quiet for a minute before Hayden continued.

"I know she can. It doesn't mean she does." I couldn't believe it. They were talking about me. That's why Hayden doesn't want me to go back, she doesn't think I can do anything on my own. She doesn't think I'll take care of myself. She doesn't know anything. I'll show her, I'll show both of them what I can do. With that, I went to my room and went to sleep.

The next morning, dad knocked on my door to make sure I was up. I opened my door and showed I was already dressed and I was putting my hair in a ponytail.

"Wow, okay. You look..." He said. I smiled as I finished my hair and put my hands on my hips.

"What, dad?" I asked.

"You look...sober." He laughed. I walked out and shut the door before laughing myself.

"I hope that's a good thing." He just nodded and motioned for me to walk ahead of him. I walked into the kitchen to see Hayden with her usual cup of tea and Vincent's orange juice. They both stopped what they were doing and looked at me. I just smiled and got my breakfast.

"Alright, plan of attack for today." Dad said as I sat down with a bowl of Cheerios. "Hayden, you're first, two hours. Kody, you're after her. Also, two hours. Understood?" He explained. We both agreed and Hayden followed him out. I watched as, once again, she made every shot with no problem. She was good at what she did, it was time to show her I was better.

When she was finished, dad called me out and I walked passed her to get to the target. She seemed to be looking at me funny though I couldn't place why. I got to dad and waited for his instructions.

"Okay, you figure this out? You know what your trigger is?" He asked. I honestly didn't know but that didn't matter. I was confident so I just stood my ground, closed my eyes, and took a deep breath. When I opened my eyes and pushed my hand forward, a gust of air went flying. It was so strong, it knocked over the target on its side.

"Kody, that was awesome. Great, keep working on it." After a while, it got easier and easier. I still have no idea what my trigger is, but I don't care. It was working. I continued working on my air powers for the first hour then dad had me working on my non-elemental powers.