Chapter 6

Secrets of the Council

:,Kody's Pov.:

It's been three days since my dream and I have barely slept a wink. I'm honestly afraid to so I keep myself awake with coffee and energy drinks. Davien actually let me go to the store and I bought a months worth of coffee and energy drinks. And let me tell you, it wasn't cheap.

When I got back, I noticed the house was quiet. I checked Hayden's room, then Davien's. No one was home which was odd. Davien never left here and if he did, he'd never take Hayden, simply because he would go to the underworld and he didn't want us there. Especially her. It was too dangerous.

"Guys?" I yelled. Hoping they'd answer. Nothing. I continued to look around. I walked into the kitchen and stopped. There was a sound that didn't seem quite right. The water was running but there was nobody here.

I walked over to the sink to shut off the water. I looked and it was filled to the top, about to overflow on to the floor. I went to grab the plug to drain it when I heard a noise behind me. I quickly turned around to defend myself, not expecting to see the boy from the underworld.

"Lowery." Was all I said. He got this grin on his face. Before I could react, he grabbed me, whirled me around, shoving my head in the water. I struggled but he was stronger than me. I tried to relax and hold my breath but my oxygen was gone.

"Hey!" My eyes shot open. I looked over to see a cop standing next to Davien's car. He let me borrow it to go to the store. I smiled weakly at the officer as I tried to catch my breath.

"I'm sorry. I must have dozed off." I said. I looked around. I must have brought myself to the side off the road and stopped the car, I don't remember doing so.

"Miss, have you been drinking?" The officer asked me. She looked past me to the passenger seat.

"No, I um, I've been working nights." I lied, but she bought it.

"Alright, just go home and get some sleep."

"Will do." Then I drove home. I looked into the rear view mirror and saw that my hair was soaking wet. I almost hit the brakes. What the hell? This was real. I really almost drowned. That guy from the underworld tried to kill me. Once the cop was out of sight, I hit the accelerator and the home as fast as I could.

When I got home, Hayden and Davien were sitting on the couch. I downed a energy drink and walked in. They both stood, seeing my hair.

"Kody, where have you been? I didn't give you my car so you could go for a swim somewhere." Davien yelled. I just stood there tucking a still wet strand of hair behind my ear.

"I didn't go swimming. I answered. He seemed surprised. Hayden spoke up then.

"But your hair. Did you dump a water bottle on your head?" I shook my head, water droplets flying.

"I fell asleep." I simply said, my voice lifeless and dull with exhausted. Davien's eyes became wide disks and I heard Hayden take in a sharp breath as they both realized what that meant.

"What?" Davien asked. "Kody, sit down." He said, taking my hand. I pulled away and took a step back.

"No, if I sit down, I'll fall asleep." Davien stopped. I haven't told them I haven't been sleeping, I didn't wait to worry them with everything that's been going on. I just went into my room at night and drank energy drinks. I keep my mind and hands busy so I don't fall asleep.

"Kody, you have to sleep." Hayden said.

"No, if I sleep Lowery will kill me. Next time he won't play games. He might actually succeed."