Chapter 9

The Secrets Last Stand

:.Kody's Pov.:

I sat outside until it was too dark to see. I went inside to find dad and Hayden...watching TV? Dad hasn't had a television in over two years. As far as I know, he never owned one.

"Um, when did we get a TV?" I asked. Dad smiled and Hayden looked annoyed.

"Remember when I went to the store? Yeah, it was on sale and I was tired of Hayden's belly-aching. Which hasn't stopped by the way." Dad answered

"He's watching a show about bitchy brides. I didn't even know this kind of show existed." Hayden said. I could tell by her face that she was not liking the show.

"Hayden, you didn't even know the channel existed." We all laughed at the face she made and I realized how easy it really was and how good it felt. Dad smiled at me and Hayden looked elated.

"So. How was your evening?" She asked, I looked down at my notepad and smiled.

"Great, I nearly filled it. It's just too dark to see anything out there." I looked around and noticed Ian wasn't anywhere to be found. "Where's Ian? I didn't get a chance to thank him." I said. I noticed the house was quiet, which never happens. All you could hear was the bride yelling at some poor bastard over perfectly nice flowers saying he 'ruined her wedding.

"Well after he finished gawking at you from the door, he told me to tell you that he will back tomorrow to help us, but he had to leave. He's still cleaning out his dad's house." Hayden explained. I pulled my hair down and ran my fingers through it to get the knots out.

"He was watching me? For how long?" I asked, as I felt my stomach flutter. I found myself hoping that things were different, things we're going to get back to normal but that 'maybe' kept playing in my mind.

"Kody, don't. Okay? You're the one who wanted to move on, remember? That's what you said." I just nodded and went to bed.

Three weeks later, things were better but today, I woke up feeling like shit. My head was pounding, the room was spinning, I couldn't breath and my heart was racing.

"You're resisting." I jumped to see Malak standing at the foot of my bed. "You weren't given this power to help the king. You were given it to stop him." He looked angry and my heart was beating so fast, I thought it was going to rip right out of my chest.

"Stop resisting and the pain will cease." With that, he was gone, but the pain wasn't.

"Dad!" I yelled out as best I could. "Hayden?" I pulled my phone up and it was still early. They might not even be up yet. I tried to use my phone to call one of them but my hands were shaking too hard so I gave up on that idea.

"Dad!" I cried out again. I tried to get up but I just fell to the floor, holding my chest. "Somebody please help!" I started crawling over to the door and I pulled it open before fully collapsing on the floor. I looked beside me and saw my bag next to the doorframe where I placed it when I came back home. My familiars were hanging out of the pocket so I yanked them out and threw them on the floor. Suddenly, I was face-to-face with a hippo and a falcon, who also didn't look so good.

"Get help." I said to them and they listened. Jenner went to dad's room and Delia went to Hayden and Vincent's. They were making so much noise that I had to cover my ears.

"Delia? what the..."

"Hayden, help!"

"Kody?" She ran over and helped me up. Dad came running over and started asking questions as they both got me to the bed.