Chapter 9

Return of the Secrets

:.Kody's Pov.:

We were all in the kitchen and it seemed like all eyes were on me. I sat there with my phone in my hand as I dialed Ian's number. I hit the call button and placed the phone to my ear. I heard it ring a few times.

"This is Ian's cell. I'm not available. Leave a message..." I sighed and ended the call after leaving a message.

"Voice mail." I said quietly. Vincent stood up and Hayden put a hand on my shoulder. I set my phone down on the table and slowly stood up. I started for the door but dad stopped me.

"Kody, you can't give up. We just..."

"Why not? He obviously doesn't want to be found. He doesn't give a damn about us anymore, he doesn't care about...about me." I said before dad could say anything else. It's been days since he left and I needed to face the fact he may never come back.

"That's horseshit, Kody." I turned to see Lowery standing behind me. I was about to respond when he spoke up. "He still cares, he's just different. He's like two parts of one mind. We just need to get the one part back and I truly believe you're the only one who can." I turned fully to face him.

"You're putting this solely on my shoulders? Why? How is that fair? I can't do this. He's gone and there's nothing I can do to get him back." I said, grabbing my phone and pushing past him.

"Kody he's in love with you. Of course you're the one who can save him." Lowery responded. I shook my head as I felt tears falling down my face.

"I can't...No it's not..."

"Kody, he was going to propose. To you. You're the only one he loves more than himself. If anyone can do it, it's you. I know that sucks but it's true." Hayden interjected. I froze. Purpose? Ian? I can't believe it. I just shock my head and went to my room. I heard their protest but I didn't stop. I just walked into my room and closed the door. I stood there for a few minutes before I felt my legs give out and I sank to the floor, sinking to the floor, sobbing. How could he do this?

I pulled up my knees and wrapped my arms around them. I rested my head on my knees and tried to calm down. After about ten minutes of sitting there, my cheek was starting to hurt from being pressed against my knee cap so I picked up my head to lean my forehead down instead when my phone started ringing. I wasn't even going to look at it, but something told me I should. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and nearly had a heart attack. I quickly answered it.

"Ian?" I shot off the floor so fast it made my head spin. At first, I didn't hear anything on the other line, I was about to hang up when he finally spoke.

"Kody?" Just to hear his voice made everything better. I smiled even though it wasn't the Ian I love. He was different, even by the sound of his voice, I could tell.

"Ian, where are you? I've been worried." I asked. He didn't answer at first so I thought he hung up.

"You don't need to worry about me. I can take care of myself. I'm a big boy now." I was speechless, he has never spoken to me like that, with such rudeness and attitude. "Look I just called because I know you're looking for me." He said.

"Great, tell me where you are and I'll come find you." I responded. I waited for what seemed like forever before he answered.

"I called you to tell you to stop. I'm not coming back." With that said, he hung up. No, he didn't. No. He loved me. Something in him was making him say these things. This wasn't like him. I thought about going back out and telling everyone what he just said, but I decided to just lay in bed and figure out where to go from here.