Chapter 3

The Secrets Last Stand

:.Kody's Pov.:

My arm still hurt a while after we got back to the house. Dad has been trying to get us ready by teaching us all of our powers. I had no idea how I got my air powers to work, it kind of just happened. I was trying to get it to work again but no matter how many times I tried, nothing happened.

"Kody, concentrate. You can do this." Dad said. I took a deep breath and turned to face him.

"Dad, I can't get it to do it again. I keep trying but nothing is happening." He came up next to me and closed his eyes. All the sudden, he opened them and threw a fire ball. It hit the target he set up behind his house to practice with. Hayden was waiting in the house for her turn.

"You just need to use your trigger." He said, turning to face me. I threw my hands up in frustration.

"I don't know what my trigger is, dad. If I did, I would have hit that target already." And as I said it, water flew from my hand and hit the target. I was shocked. I looked at my hand and tried again and again. Every time I did it, water hit the target.

"See? You found it. Your trigger is obviously an emotion. All of ours are. You just needed to find the right emotion. What were you feeling when it happened?" Dad asked. I was still in shock that it actually worked. I finally looked up at him and shock my head.

"I...I was feeling frustrated and stressed. Maybe a little scared that it was never going to work. I'm not sure which. I was feeling all three." I explained. Dad nodded once before looking back at the target.

"Well, hopefully, it was fear. It's the easiest to trigger in a situation. Okay, think about something that really scares you. Anything. I don't care if it's something stupid like spiders or the boogeyman. Just use something." He said. I nodded before closing my eyes and thinking of something that scared me. I tried something my adoptive grandmother used on me as a child, the boogies. The boogies was something my uncle and grandmother came up with to keep me out of trouble. If I was bad, the boogies would come on a train that rode my childhood home and take me to Toledo.

But when I tried to use my powers, nothing happened.

"Alright, look. Mine is triggered by anger. So I think of something that makes me the angriest and my powers work. Now, what are you most afraid of?" I thought deep and hard about my worst fear. Then I remembered something I've always been afraid of.

"Well, my whole life, my worst fear was dying in a tornado." I explained.

"Really? After everything, that's your worst fear?" I just shrugged. "Okay, give it a shot." I closed my eyes as I thought about what it might feel like to be in a tornado and I felt my heart begin to race a little but when I tried it again, nothing happened.

"Alright, there's something in you that worse than that. You need to find out what it is. But not now. Now it's Hayden's turn. You try and figure it out. Think about it and we'll try again." I nodded and walked to the house. I told Hayden it was her turn. As I watched her hit the target each and every time, I realized then that she was the stronger one of us. She is the one who is going to defeat the Council. Not me.

After Hayden was done, it was time for dinner. Which I cooked so I didn't have to watch anymore. I made taco chicken, something I came up with living with my adoptive family. I just use taco seasoning to flavor the chicken. It's one of the only things I can actually make.

"Something smells good." Hayden said, walking in the house and dad agreed when he walked in behind her.

"Kody made dinner." Vincent said from his spot at the table. Hayden stopped dead in her tracks and turned to face him.