A Patron

Sunday Early Morning

Catherine's POV:

Madam Imee's a bit energetic today...

"Good Morning, Catherine! Hehehe!" She sensed my entrance to her room and greeted me this morning with a giggle.

"Oh! Good morning! You're energetic today, huh?"

"Yep! Because today, we're gonna have a mini-feast!"

"Huh? What do you mean mini-feast?"

"We will have a mini-feast to celebrate the life and legacy of my beloved patron, St. Therese of Lisieux." Imee explained further. "Her real feast day is still months away so I just wanted to have my own celebration of her."

"Hmm...well that makes sense. There's a photo of St. Therese hanging over your door right now." I replied. "Oh! By the way, where's Anthony?"

"He's with Father Jean now. They preparing for today's activities here in my room." Imee said to me. "Umm...since they will be out for a moment, can you join me by the bedside?"

"Yes, certainly."

I complied with Madam Imee's orders and sat down beside her. I can describe her right now as like a fairy-tale princess. Even she always lies down in a bed and her figure is obstructed by a ventilation tube attached in her throat, I could still see her beautifully...perhaps her blind but serene eyes made me said that.

I took out my comb and voluntarily brushed Imee's hair...which makes her smile at me. I glanced around...and saw that she already wore a complete set of casual clothes: blouse, cardigan, skirt, long black socks and sneakers. She told me earlier that the she will celebrate the day here in her room, so I could say that she won't be transferred from the bed to her wheelchair and go out for some random appointment anytime soon. So I wonder...why she's wearing casual clothes if she will not leave?

"Umm...Imee...why are you wearing rubber shoes while lying in bed? Don't that make your bed dirty?"

"Huh? What are you talking about? My shoes aren't dirty! They're just brand new! Hehehe!" Imee replies with a giggle. "You know...there are two reasons why I wear casual clothes and sneakers while in bed. First of all, my paralyzed body can't control its own temperature...I can feel when you touch me...but I won't feel the fluctuations...whether my body is warm or cold. That's the reason why I was took out of the room for the first time, I was stricken with fever. For a paralyzed lady like me...having a fever would be so dangerous...I might get pneumonia, pressure sores...or even another cardiac arrest! I might be dead for sure! That's why I wear clothes and sneakers...so I could at least manage my body temperature from neck to toe...for every part of my body is important in controlling my temperature. And don't worry about my sneakers and my bed...it won't be dirty and all! Since I'm either on my bed or my wheelchair and never set foot on a single floor, my sneakers are so clean! Hehehe!"

"Hehehe! That makes sense!" I smiled on Imee's energetic explanation. "How about your other reason?"

"Well...simply because I always value my body so much even I can't use it anymore." Imee explains as she smiles at me. "God gave me this body for a special purpose...it's like a package; you're given senses to be marveled by the world that He created for us...hands and feet to spread the Good News to humanity...talents to do good deeds to others, to show that through us, God loves them...and a soul and a heart that understands and accepts people whoever they are and helping them to regain faith and hope to Him. So even though I'm blind, paralyzed and connected into a ventilator, I'm very thankful about my body...and I promise God that I will use this package to fulfill the mission that He has given to me...so I'll always pray that I will do my best and utilize what is left in use of my body to serve that purpose...without disregard every part it."

"Whoa...Anthony's right. You're very special!" I was amazed by her explanation. "You're my inspiration! Oh, I know! How about you will be my first patron?"

"Oh! Ehehehe...I don't have any money to support you but, okay! I will be your patron! Hehehe!" Imee accepts my offer.

"Don't worry, Imee. I won't need money from you. Your words are already priceless to me...those are some precious words of wisdom that can inspire people."

"Thank you, Catherine." Imee smiles brightly at me. "Don't worry, I will pray for you."

We spend a few moments talking random things until Father Jean and Anthony arrived at the room, carrying some candles and a portrait of a beautiful young nun with a caption "St. Therese of Lisieux" below the picture.

"Imee, let's begin our simple celebration in honor of your patron, St. Therese of Lisieux." Father Jean told her.

"Yes, Father. Certainly."

Anthony then goes towards Imee and helped her sat up at the bedside by laying her back on him.

"I always admired St. Therese because of her simplicity." Imee starts to speak about her own patron. "She is able to profess her spirituality in a very creative way...through the words of her love of God that inspires her superiors...and eventually created believers. She didn't care about herself...she cares...she prays for the salvation of lost souls. I wish I was like her...pray to bring hope and faith to those who have lost it all."

Everybody of us smiled around her....minute by minute, I understand why Anthony calls Imee extraordinary. I just felt a deep sense of...well...soul-lifting feeling...as if she's our guardian angel...praying for us all...

"Come on, guys. Let's close our eyes, pray our personal intentions, and let sing our worship to Lord, our God."

Upon Imee's invitation, we begin to sing songs in honor of St. Therese of Lisieux...and we are able to hear Imee's sweet voice...a voice of an angel who was sent from above...blessing us, praying for us. And then...whoa!

"Gloria Excelsis Deo! Gloria Excelsis Deo! Gloria Excelsis Deo!"

As she continues the chant her praises to God, Imee's starts to glow! And...and...she begins to move her hands...and clasped them together...as she closed her eyes in prayer...before blessing us with a sign of the cross! She's praying for us...she's intercedes us to God!

And when she finishes her prayer, she opened her eyes and smiled at us like a little child...as she shines as bright as a sun. Then, a mysterious sweet voice rang out the room.

"This is the servant of the Lord, whom He loves so much. Listen to her."