Body, Blood and Water

Dedicated to heraclejam

Christian Anthony's POV:

"Tok...Tok...Tok..." Then, a knock from the door was heard.

"Coming!" I stood up from Imee's bedside and opened the door, and there I saw Father Jean, accompanied with two nuns.

"Hello, Anthony." Father Jean greeted me. "Can you help us tender Imee with some clothes? After that we're gonna celebrate a Mass on her bedside."

"Yes, certainly."

I saw the nuns holding some amenities and the clothes that Imee will be wearing. They quickly entered the room to start cleaning her paralyzed body and change her clothes.

"Umm...Imee, is it okay for you that I could help the nuns changing your clothes?" I shyly asked the sickly lady.

"Yes, certainly. But if I sense that you will attempt to do something to me...I'm gonna hate you so much! Hmph!"

"Of course, I won't doing that! I'm was a policeman, you know? Police don't do crimes like that!"

I helped the nuns in removing the blanket that covers most of her body...then raised her legs so that one nun can remove the pajamas and the...umm...underwear, while the other nun removes the buttons of Imee's blouse to unwears it as she also removes her bra.

And then follows Imee's bath: one nun brings a bowl of soapy water towards the bedside...takes a sponge and dips into it...before she starts to wipe across Imee's body...from head to toe...from her bending and lifeless arms to the colds soles of her feet. I helped the nuns in turning her back around and raising her arms and legs so that every part of her body is wiped clean.

Then the new clothes: again, I was the one who raised Imee's legs so that the nun can put in Imee's new set of underwear and pajamas, while the other nun do the rest for the blouse. The entire process takes an hour of our time.

"Mam Imee, are you feeling refreshed?" One nun asked her.

"Yes, thank you." Imee smiled at her.

Afterwards, the small table from Imee's bedside was put in front...Father Jean opened its compartments and puts out some books and linens, chalice, containers of water and wine, two small plates...and some pieces of unleavened bread. A Mass is about to be celebrated in Imee Therese's room. I sit down again beside Imee...bathed and newly dressed...so I could celebrate the service with her.

Imee Therese's POV:

Every morning, a Mass is being celebrated in my room. It's always be my favorite pastime, because I am given opportunity to learn God's mysterious ways...and how to deal with it in my daily life. In short, I learn how to live like God when He was on earth...

The nuns read the first reading and the responsorial psalm...then Father Jean acclaims the Gospel...it's about the instruction Lord has given to His apostles back then: to baptize the believers, to cast out evil spirits through His name, laying their hands to cure the sick and dying, and proclaiming the Good News to the world in different languages. Then follows Father Jean's homily:

"Dear Friends, we have long been tasked by our Good Lord to proclaim the Good News to the ends of the earth: bringing hope to the hopeless, bringing justice to the oppressed, and liberate the humanity from the darkness. Yes, we have come from different places in our lives...some are more difficult to bear than the others. But when God touches our lives, He transforms us from a mortal sinful and hopeless human being...into an extraordinary, faithful and dedicated servants of God that will sacrifice even their life and blood in His Holy Name. Like each and everyone of us, the Apostles of our Good Lord are sinful and hopeless...they even doubt of they are worthy to be one of the chosen. But look...these apostles are being regarded as saints now...because God touched their lives...motivating them to proclaim the Good News...keeping strong to their faith even in the face of martyrdom from the Romans. So dear friends, let us not forget why we are here. We tasked to do the same mission as the Apostles. And how can you do it? Let God touch your hearts and transform you into something better than you ever imagine. Who knows, one of us will gonna be a saint one of these days!"

Being a saint one of these days, huh? For a person who forgoes all earthly and material things, prays a lot, and dedicate themselves to the Lord...perhaps it might be an easy way! Hehehe!

Then the table's is being set...based from my strong sense of hearing. The unleavened bread is being prayed...

"Blessed be God Forever..."

Then, the chalice is filled with water and wine...then is being prayed as well...

"Blessed be God Forever..."

And after Father Jean washes his hands, the main part of the Mas is starting...the consecration of the unleavened bread and the mixture of water and wine...into the Body and Blood of Christ.

"This is My body...which will be given up for you."

As the moment of silence ensued from the consecration of the sacred host...I began to feel the presence of God arriving into my room...filling it up with undescribable feeling of joy and glory...

"This is the cup of my blood, the blood of the new and everlasting covenant. It will be shed for you and for all so that sins may be forgiven. Do this in memory of me."

After the consecration...the Mass continues, invoking the Holy Spirit to bless the consecrated Eucharist and every one of us celebrating here in my room. Then follows, the Lord's Prayer then rite of peace....

"Let's offer each other the greetings of peace..."

Afterwards, Father Jean and the two nuns approached me, hold and kissed my hand, saying "Peace be with You." And when it's Anthony's turn, who is just on my bedside...

"Peace be with You, Imee." Anthony kissed my forehead. "I hope you will find peace with the Lord right now."

"Thank you, Anthony." I smile at him in return. "I hope that the Lord will guide you to the true meaning of peace, as well."

After a few moments of prayer and reflection, it's already time to distribute the Eucharist to everyone of us. Since we are just four of us, it is allowed to receive not only the host, but also the consecrated wine. I'm so excited to receive this treasures from heaven!

"The Body and Blood of Christ..." Father Jean approached me by the bedside.

"Amen."

I received the host directly through my mouth...as well as the wine, which was delivered through a spoon. Ooh! So delish! Among all the food that I've tasted, the host and the wine are the best! It brings me closer to God! I always wanted to taste the same food that the Lord once shared with His Apostles on that Holy Ni-uuugh!!!

"Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep!"

I-I hear the ventilator's beeping so fast...I'm sho-short of breath...my heart is beating fast...and fading...I-I can't ke-keep this any lo-longer...is this it? Is this the time...tha-that the Lord is ca-calling me home? To heaven? Wha-what ever it is...I will accept it...Go-Good Lord...my life...it's...all...yours....

"Beeeeep...."

"IMEE!!!!!"