0- "The girl next door."

Hello guys.... This will be my very first story on wattpad, I'm so nervous I have no idea how this will turn out but please go easy on me...

Here goes also, do not mind the names please as some are English while some are Indian but their originality is Indian.

SARAH

"A girl besides me whispered my name, and I returned to the world known as reality.

Back to the boring and the dull reality that surrounded me right now.

I was in the middle of a decent party, with a bunch of friends at a certain restaurant cum bar in Delhi. This was one of the rarest times, attending a party outside with my so called friends.

I faked a smile, pretending to be involved. It's not that they were bad people, but I wasn't that familiar with them. I was afraid my final year in school was going to be the same as last year. Eventually, the gossips were starting to get boring. In order to distract myself, I stole a glance to my left at a group of college boys laughing and drinking, but I purposefully narrowed my attention towards a certain guy who seemed to be the center of attention.

Jamie!

I first saw him when he came to my house with Dad one evening. Jamie was currently our neighbor, living on the floor above us, all by himself. He conversed with my parents sometimes, whenever we bumped into him. Heard he came to India to try living here and study. Apparently, he lived in Australia his whole life until now. I've never talked to him properly, but I kind of admire him, especially right now. Jamie seemed to be just as I thought he was-- Friendly, attractive, outgoing, someone who can easily meld into any surrounding.

Unlike me.

Our party finally ended an hour later as it was getting late. My friends were ready to go home.

"No Mom, you don't need to, my friend will drop me home... Yes, I promise, bye," I finally convinced Mom and ended the call. I can't believe that I actually lied to my parents and told them that I was attending Rita's birthday party at her house. I rarely lied to my parents nor do I needed a reason to, but I can't let them find out the truth now, can I?

We exited the restaurant to fetch ourselves a rickshaw. The birthday girl had already gone home in her car but couldn't take Alia and me since it was already packed with her friends. Add to that, our houses were in the opposite direction.

Alia let out a huge sigh which only worried me more. This doesn't look good. It was 8:40 pm and we were alone in a place we weren't so familiar with.

Suddenly someone poked my head from behind, making me jump.

"Its you! What a coincidence! Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," Jamie spoke with a chuckle.

"It- it's fine. Though I didn't expect to meet you here," I lied nervously.

God! He has such a sexy voice.

"So, he's your neighbor huh!" Alia said, after I informed her about him. "Perfect, he could drop us off then." 

"Is something the matter?" He lowered his head slightly toward us and asked. Alia told him about the situation at hand and surprisingly, Jamie agreed to drop us home.

"What about your friends and the party?" I asked, worried that I disturbed him.

"No worries, its only one of those gatherings anyway. Just wait a bit, okay?" He said and went away. I watched him from a distance as he convinced his friends to let him go, giving an apologetic smile.

"He's cool. You're lucky to have him as your neighbor, you know," Alia said and I nodded. I couldn't agree more. He had black rough hair, a few strands falling naturally near his eyes, his small but pink, plump lips and a fair complexion throughout. He was wearing a stripy, dark blue and red shirt, with the sleeves folded to his elbows and light blue jeans. You couldn't say he's very handsome, but he did looked smart enough to be noticed atleast once.

The three of us entered the rickshaw and dropped to Alia's place first. It was just Jamie and I now. Come on Sarah, I might not get a second chance like this ever again. I need to say something. Anything.

"S-so how do you find India?" I managed to speak.

"Hmm... It's different from Australia- the people, the surroundings, the language, even the food. They are all different in an amazing kind of way," He said in a matter of fact voice ."I'm enjoying it but, I still don't have many friends here."

"Huh, but it didn't seem that way at all. You were getting along so well with them," I blurted out and immediately regretted, putting a hand above my mouth.

"Oh, were you perhaps watching me?" He said, looking at me with amusement. I felt the blood rush to my cheeks, feeling myself blush.

With the little time left, we talked about the party and Indian food.

"Oh, you mean 'Paranthe Wali Galli' in Chandni Chowk? (A street famous for Paranthe an Indian dish) Nah, didn't go there, but I've heard a lot about it," Jamie said with hesitation. I giggled at the way he pronounced Paranthe wali gali and corrected him.

"No need to laugh. I know Hindi quite well but sometimes, I tend to misspell some words. I'm aware of that. Man, I'll have to improve that." He whined, running a hand through his head in frustration.

Something told me it wasn't his first time he has been made fun of for his misspellings. "But you should like totally go there, their paranthas are the best," I suggested.

"Alright, I will someday. Maybe you can accompany me," He wiggled his brows at me and I chuckled in response.

Soon, we reached the front of the building. I looked at him in disappointment.

I want to talk more. I want to know more about him... If only I..

"Thanks, Jamie. You helped us out even when you were busy. Sorry for interrupting."

"Tch! You don't need to apologize. It's no big deal, okay?" He said, poking my head lightly. I waved him goodbye as I reached the second floor. I turned around.

"Wait!" He called taking a step towards me. We looked at each other for a still second before he took out his phone. "Lets exchange numbers, what's yours?"

Oh my gosh, did he just read my mind? No Sarah, you need to stop over-reacting. Its perfectly normal for a sociable guy like him to exchange numbers. I convinced myself and told my number while suppressing my smile. After that, I quickly got inside my house and thanked my fate for reaching on time. 

While changing my clothes in my room, my phone ringed. It was a text message from .

"I forgot to tell you one thing though, you looked cute tonight. Goodnight Sarah ;)
-Jamie

It was good thing that he wasn't watching me right now because I'm sure that my face is red, even without looking at the mirror. I can feel it.

...

That's how I became friends with Jamie. We would often bump into each other and would talk about casual things. Sometimes we even took a walk together while going home. I became to know more about him personally. It didn't take time for me to develop my crush for him. A whole month passed since I talked to him that fateful evening. Time passed and eventually I had started to develop a faint liking towards him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe it, I've managed to write this out. The actual story starts from the next chapter onward which will be from Jamie p.o.v. I'm sure you will be surprised at how he is.... ;) Look forward to it.

Vote and comment xx