Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Addison Leann Ryder, you get back here right now. I am your mother. and you will listen to me!"

Mrs. Ryder had come home earlier than Addy expected. She, Brayden, and Reyna were playing an old board game they found in the corner of his closet. They were all having a good laugh, until she showed up. Addy was glad that Liam had convinced her to be with her brother because in reality, her brother meant the most to her, even more than the beta werewolf she fell for.

He understood that. He would always understand that.

Liam knew the moment they met that her big brother meant the world to her. It was the way she spoke about him, the way she respected him and defended him against anyone that insulted Brayden. She was the best little sister he could have asked for. They had their fights, mainly in the past, but they always pulled through.

Just like they would pull through this.

The moment Addison heard her mom's car pull into the drive way, or more so heard her from down the street, she raced up the stairs to get a bag to go to Liam's. It was probably best that she wore her own clothes, although his were much more comfortable. The two watched her with confusion but finally put two and two together. She was going to avoid her own mother for as long as possible.

But she wasn't quick enough to get out of the house. Mrs. Ryder opened the front door just as Addy was about to leave. She was shocked to see her own daughter, but quickly regained seriousness and began to demand for her only daughter to listen. She had run away from home without any sign of where she was or what she was doing, not to mention that she got a call about skipping school. The behaviour Addy had was unacceptable.

"You were never my mother." Addy shook her head. "How many things have you missed out on in my life, huh? My first lacrosse game. My birthday: four of my birthdays to be exact. My first day of high school. My recital in elementary school! You even missed Christmas! I can go on and on and on about how many things you missed in my life because you were never there! Okay? So don't give me that crap about being my mother. A mother is supposed to be there for her daughter growing up!"

Addy had to get out of there. She could feel her anger get the best of her, and without any knowledge of what was going to happen to her, she didn't want to take a chance and stay. As much as she was mad at her mother, she never wanted to hurt the woman. There was a part of her that would always love her mom. How could she not? Every person loved their mother, even if it was deep down.

"I'll go check on her," she heard Brayden quietly tell their mother. There was no doubt that he was mad at her too, the woman lied about who is father was. It was a lot for him, but he managed to at least remain calm while talking to her. Addy failed to do that. She couldn't even look her in the eye anymore.

She made it half way down the block, walking straight down the middle of the road. The footsteps of Brayden running to catch up echoed perfectly clear in her ears. "Adster! Ads, wait! Stop, okay, just stop."

"Back off," Addy growled. Her eyes were glowing at him. She knew that. It felt a little different. The power flowing in her veins was different. Brayden held his hands up and backed up a step or two. "I'm going to Liam's. I'm not staying there, okay? I can't, you don't understand."

"I don't understand?" Brayden questioned. His voice rose at every sentence he spoke. "Oh, I'm sorry that this just affects you! I'm sorry that none of this has to do with me! I'm sorry that you discovered that your mother had an affair and turned out to not have the father you thought! Wait... that was me! I'm in the same boat that you are, Addison Leann Ryder. At least you know who your dad is! So don't tell me that I 'don't understand,' because I sure as hell do!"