Chapter Twenty-Nine

Addy returned to the game with the score up to two to five and just over four minutes left on the clock. In the corner of her eye, she could see Hayden returning to her spot on the bleachers with a smile on her face. The trip to go see if Scott was okay was abandoned and forgotten. She didn't hear any more struggles in the school, and she was hoping that it was him that stopped it and not Kira.

"Ryder! Get your ass on the field!" Coach yelled at her. Addy quickly shoved her helmet on and rushed into the spotlight. Liam was bent down, ready for the ball, and easily stole it from the player in front of him.

Addy barely had her gloves on when the ball landed in her stick. "Oh, shit," she muttered, running down the field, dodging every player along the way. She paused at the last defense-men, letting him come to her. Rather than checking him like Kira had been, she simply moved to the side and let him fall to the ground all on his own. With no one else in the way, she easily scored a goal, bringing the team another point closer to tying.

The crowd erupted in cheers, and her teammates patted her on the back as they passed. Liam was last, a grin on his face. "Alright, we don't have much time, but we need to score two more points."

"We can do this." She missed lacrosse. The sport was her safe place. It was the only time that she really felt normal. It didn't matter that the reason they were trying to tie the game up was to figure out how to save all those people, because when she was out there, she felt normal. And that's all she really wanted.

Addy rolled her shoulders, bending down by the ref to continue the game again. Her grip on her lacrosse stick tightened. They needed to tie the game. There was no other option. She jumped as the whistle blew, but with her advanced reflexes, grabbed the ball in record speed. Players were surrounding her, but a clear voice shouted her name.

Liam nearly tripped over his feet he turned so fast. Addy barely had time to pass him the ball before she got pushed to the ground. It didn't matter because Liam scored yet another goal. Less than two minutes left, and one goal to score. The comeback they were making was nearly impossible. No team had ever scored that many goals in that short of time.

Neither of the two were in the face off. It was all up to the one player had no idea that his life was at stake because of the game. It was all up to him if they were going to tie this game or die. Addy was – to say the least – extremely worried for their safety.

However, he pulled through and immediately passed the ball to Liam. Addy ran in front of him, blocking off any player that got in their way. It was down to seconds, and the shot Liam had to take was risky. Addy body checked the player getting closer to him while Liam leaped, scoring the last and final goal to tie the game.

Addy grinned, pulling an exhausted Liam up to his feet. "We did it! We actually did it!" She pulled him into a ginormous hug. However, the moment was cut short when a loud screeching noise spread across the field. Addy ripped her helmet off her head and covered her ears.

The noise was extremely loud, and she tried her best to focus on anything but her hearing. Liam was crouched down beside her. He was in the exact same position as she was. It slowly died out, but a whole new, even worse noise was heard: a deep growl that shook Addy's bones. The one that belonged to the Beast.

Beside her, Liam's claws grew, and his eyes glowed. He ran off the field, intending to fight that thing. "Liam! Liam, wait!" she ran after him, but it was too late when he jumped up, the Beast on his opposite side. Its claws were over twice the size of Liam's and cut down his torso, stopping the beta in his spot.

"Liam!" Addy shrieked. The Beast snapped its head over towards her. "Fuck." Without hesitation, she transformed completely. Fire surrounded her body, and her sword and shield were up. It was light against dark, fire against shadows. However, the Beast paid no attention her, but rather ran to follow the crowd of people running into the school.