Chapter Nine

Addy sat in the corner of her room, reading the book she so desperately thought would give her answers. She was halfway through and didn't feel any different. It was Monday afternoon, and she had started it in the morning. It was the original copy of the book. She had stolen it from Lydia after their Eichen House visit, once she and Stiles explained what the book was supposed to do.

The book was written to make memories resurface. The Doctors were so powerful they could make you forget if you had an experience with them. They would mess around with your memories, the memories you had of them. Addy needed to know if they were messing around with her brain, or worse.

All Sunday she had stared at the book, debating whether or not she should read it or not. She wanted answers and she wanted to know if the Doctors had done something to her, but she was scared she would be left with nothing and wouldn't be able to remember. Then again, she was terrified to know if they did do something to her, or more importantly what they did. 

Her phone kept ringing with texts but she was too intent on reading the book to answer. The dings of every texts eventually got drowned out. The book itself was confusing and the distractions were not helping her case. Addy had to often reread pages, sometimes more than once. It was why she was only halfway done rather than being finished. 

Brayden had left that morning, really early at that. Addy cried. He cried. Their mom cried. Her big brother was grown up and off to college to do something important with his life. He argued that being Addy's big brother was the only important thing he wanted to do with his life. That made her cry even more.

She didn't want him to go, she needed him to. She needed him to be safe from everything, and she needed to not have to worry about him. Brayden didn't heal like her, and because of that he was in more danger than she was. 

It was the fact that Addy wasn't going to see him every day that made her sad. She loved her brother with everything she had, and she was scared that they were going to lose that relationship they shared when he left. They were best friends. 

Brayden had promised to at least text her every day, and they would try to Skype every weekend. He had told her not to worry about him when she was in danger. He had made her promise that she wasn't going to get herself in trouble and that she was going to protect herself before anyone else. Least to say, she never promised him anything.

Addison sighed as she started from the top of the page she seemed to be stuck at for the past ten minutes. Her thoughts kept skipping over everything that's been happening and it was hard to stay focused. She probably could have just taken a break, but she was too stubborn to set the book down. She feared if she but the book down she wouldn't be able to pick it back up again. 

It wasn't until she heard a knock at her front door that she finally got up. Her bones cracked and popped as she stood up. She almost fell with the first few steps she took. It had been hours since she moved from her spot. Addy tread down the stairs and opened the front door.

"Nice pajamas," Liam snorted. She was wearing her My Little Pony short shorts and a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles shirt. Addy glared at him but opened the door wider for him to come in.

"What's the real reason you're here?"

"I've been worried about you," Liam admitted as he followed her up the stairs. He knew her house just about as well as he knew his own. "You haven't really talked to anyone since Eichen House."

"It's only been a couple days," she shrugged, sitting cross legged on the bed. There had only been two times when she had fully ignored Liam Dunbar: when her brother kicked her out, and right then. It wasn't anything he did; she just needed time on her own.