Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Is this safe?"

"Honestly? No."

Addy sat on top of the table her once dead body laid on. She sat across from Deaton, who was missing for weeks, apparently taken by the Desert Wolf and brought back by Malia. She didn't know the vet very well, except that he helped the pack on multiple occasions and was very reliable. Scott trusted him, so she trusted him.

Although the situation at hand was making it hard to trust him.

That morning, Addy had woken up still in Liam's arms, except this time he was asleep. She turned without waking him, and for a solid five minutes just took in his features. He woke up before it was considered creepily watching. They went to school as per usual. Most of the pack was there, except Lydia who was taking a few days for herself.

Addy went and saw her that day. She demanded Liam go drive her over to the Martin house so she could see the poor girl. Lydia had much more color to her face than the day before and was much livelier. Addison barely gave her enough time to comprehend her presence before taking her into a bone crushing hug. They would have been completely lost without their favourite banshee.

Lydia was happy that she showed up, Addy managed to put a smile on everyone's faces without even acknowledging it. She had that aura around her. Their time was cut short as they had to go to school, as much as they didn't want to. Lydia smiled at them, pushing the sophomores together before pushing them out of her house so they could continue their education.

Throughout the day, Scott and Liam noticed how much Addy was unable to sit still, and how much she kept grabbing at her stomach where her wound was. So they caught up to her before she left the premises, and dragged her to where Scott worked. At least, she assumed he still worked there.

Deaton had taken a look at her stiches and diagnosed it as healing like a regular human would. It was nothing they didn't know already, and Addy was beginning to wonder why she was there. Then, Scott explained that they were there to figure out what kind of blade they used. At that point, Addy wanted to leave and wasn't wanting to get sliced and diced by a bunch of knives.

"I don't like this idea," Liam spoke up from his spot in the corner.

"He's not going to cut her up with a bunch of knives," Scott told him, then paused and scrunched his eyebrows. "You're not going to cut her with a bunch of knives, are you?"

"No." Deaton chuckled. "It was the metal of the knife that caused it to heal like it is. So, if you touch the metal, then you'll have some sort of reaction to it, just like you two would react to wolfsbane."

"So, you're poking me with metal sticks?" Addy raised an eyebrow.

"Essentially, yes," Deaton agreed. She looked over at Scott when the doctor turned to grab a tray of different metals. The two nearly had a whole conversation with their eyes by the time he turned back around. "I have these from a long time ago. This isn't the first time people didn't know their weaknesses."

There was an assortment of them. Some Addy could name off the top of her head, like silver and stainless steel. Others she didn't know, which made her think it was going to be one of those.

It would be a lie to say that she didn't flinch every time Deaton moved closer to her with a new piece of material. She didn't know what kind of reaction would happen when she did make contact with the one that cut her, but it wouldn't be pleasant. Over the time she sat, she thought about Liam. Truth be told, he seemed to always be on her mind, as cliché as that sounded.

He was there when she needed him to be, and that was what she wanted. Addy didn't care if he could write some poem to win back her love. She wanted him to be there for her and help her without trying. It was just hard for her to trust him after what he did. She knew he wasn't a bad guy. Liam Dunbar was never the bad guy; he was the good guy.