Chapter Five

"I'll be okay. I-I've got some stuff I've been meaning to do for a while. Thanks for the offer though," Addy sighed, looking over to her brother.

Kira had called, asking if she wanted to go driving with Malia. She was in need of some practice since she wanted to get her license. And just like her communicating skills a few months ago, her driving needed improvement: lots of improvement.

"That's okay. I'll see you tomorrow, Addy."

"Bye, Kira. Try not to crash, yeah?"

She laughed on the other line of the phone. "I'll try." With that, she pressed the end button on her cell phone. She slipped it in her back pocket as she took her previous spot on the couch next to Brayden.

Addison had been thinking. If Mason had taken the news so well, then why wouldn't her brother? Stiles was right; he needed to know, and she was running out of time to tell him. She was going to tell him that night. No more putting it off. Addy kept glancing between the TV screen and her brother. It wasn't until he paused the stupid movie that she realized how much she was fidgeting.

"Okay, what's up with you?" Brayden asked, turning towards his sister. "Seriously. You've been quiet all night."

"Bray, I've got to tell you something." Addy looked down at her lap. This was it, no going back. Brayden suddenly got very worked, even before she could say anything.

"Oh my god, did that little runt get you pregnant? I'm going to kill him!"

"What? No, no, no, we've never, I've never, just, no!" Addy shivered, they had never done anything like that. He seemed to relax back into the seat. She took a final deep breath and stood up from the couch. "You have to promise me that-that you aren't going to freak out, okay? Please, just, don't forget that I'm your sister, just like I've always been, and I love you, okay?"

"Yes, okay, you're freaking me out here, Adster. It really can't be that bad." Brayden furrowed his eyebrows and sat up a little straighter. Whatever it was, it had to be the most serious he had ever seen her be.

"It really can be. Just, please?" Addy's hands were shaking at her side. They were shaking so much that it caused her whole arm to shake. She closed her eyes and could see the bright light beneath her eyelids as her arm ignited. She was too scared to see his reaction. She was too chicken to open her eyes, but she forced herself too.

Brayden had moved from his spot on the couch and stood behind it, farther away from his sister. His chest was heaving up and down and his jaw trembled. Addy quickly diminished the flame and took a step closer to her brother, only for him to move a step back. "Bray, it's still me. I'm still Addy."

"No, no! You-that isn't my sister! I don't know what the hell you are!" he yelled, tears streaking down his face at the sight he had just seen. Whatever was standing in front of him wasn't his sister. It wasn't the girl he grew up with and practically raised.

"It is me! I'm still the same! Brayden, it's me! I'm the one who you drive to school every day! I'm the one who tells you everything! That's why I'm telling you now!" Addy shouted. She was crying so hard that she couldn't see what was in front of her. She couldn't breathe when the sobs choked her.

"No, no, get out! You're not Addy!" Brayden yelled. He tugged at his curly hair and squeezed his eyes shut. She stood there for another moment, taking a final look at her brother who was on the verge of a mental breakdown. Silently, she made her way over to the door. Her hand was shaking so much that it took several seconds to actually get it open. When the front door slammed shut, she ran, and she ran, and she ran, until she couldn't anymore.