Chapter Thirty-Two

The patter of their footsteps was the only thing that could be heard down the tunnels. There was no sign of the Beast, no sign of Lydia. All they hoped was that they would get to her before the Beast got to them. The last thing they wanted to do was have to use the pike against it. No one wanted Mason to die, and they would do everything to make sure he didn't.

"Scott." Liam suddenly stopped. "I'll do it."

"Liam..." Addy trailed off. However, Liam had other plans. If push came to shove, he was willing to watch his friend die so no one else would get hurt. He was thinking of Addy, the pack, and everyone else in Beacon Hills. None of them deserved to get hurt.

"It should be me. If you get me close enough, I'll do it." Liam nodded. It was an honorable thing, sacrificing his friend for the safety of everyone, but it wasn't going to happen.

"We're not killing your best friend," Scott denied, bringing the pike closer to him. They would get to Lydia. As soon as they got to her, everything would be okay. She was the one that could safe Mason, and more importantly get ride of the beast for good. They could do it.

"That belongs to me." Addy tensed up at the French accent. Maybe they weren't going to get to Lydia first. "It's a family heirloom. I'd like it back, please."

"Well, since you said please," Addy mocked. The worry she had vanished, and it was left with hatred for the man that took their friend away from them. "As long as you give us Mason back."

"Unfortunately, I would not know where to begin. And while I've benefited from his memories, I don't have much use for an alter ego."

The three looked between each other, sharing a nod. It was time to go with plan B: fight the thing themselves and pray that somehow Lydia would find them. Talking wouldn't stall him for much longer; and as many times as they've lost against the beast before, it was the only option.

"You want it?" Scott questioned. "Come and get it."

Addy stepped ahead of the two. While the Beast transformed with the black smoke again, she lit up with fire. A surge of power went through her; the power she enjoyed, not one that pained her. She hesitated for a second as the Beast grew in height. It wasn't the time for hesitation, or doubt; it was survival, and she was going to survive.

"Come on!" she screamed. The Beast charged at her, and both of the werewolves behind her jumped to the side. Addy bent her knees, prepared for the blow it would bring, her eyes meeting Liam's for a moment. He was thinking that she was going to get herself killed, that the Beast would tear her in half the moment he reached her, but he was wrong.

As if it forgot what had happened before, the Beast charged right into Addy's shield and bounced off of it. She staggered back from the tremendous force, but it left the Beast dazed enough for the boys to go in for their attack. It was claw against claw, although their attacks didn't do much damage.

Addy ducked as the Beast threw Scott towards her. While they got their second to catch their breath, she stepped up. Addy charged towards it, jumping in the air to get the height advantage to slit its throat. But before any damage was done, the Beast grabbed her sword, and she dangled from it four feet above the ground.

Addison let go of her weapon, and the sword in the Beast's hand diminished into ashes. The Beast rolled its massive shoulders. It eyed Addy up, trying to figure out a way to beat her. While it was distracted, she twirled her newly-formed sword around and sliced it into the Beast's stomach.

The Beast roared as it cut through him. Addy's eyes widened; she only made him angrier. It raised its fists, and she barely got away from the blow. Instead he punched the cement, sending a shockwave through the tunnel and causing them to fly against the wall. Addy groaned as the force slammed her back into one of the large pipes, and her body fell limply to the ground.