The Mental Illness Epidemic

The truth is not everyone in our society gets how important mental health is along with the mental illness epidemic. It needs and deserves the attention, care, treatment and care. We all do.

It's unfortunate that we still have a long way to go with breaking the stigma around mental illness yet in the meantime, others being in situations with the stigma, discrimination & the mental health family affair are presented, making it hard to survive it all alone. Being as the family affair of mental health as an example: where family members refuse to be open about other family members mental health overall the mental health subject itself, showing the stigma, discrimination, and self stigma attached to the stigma itself.

It's so tragic this is still going on. Even though depression and anxiety disorders are not being viewed at taboo but others like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and post traumatic stress disorder as a few are still being viewed as taboo. This is wrong. There should nothing to be ashamed of nor wrong about living with mental illness. But those working in recovery from their own mental illnesses, should just focus on themselves in recovery. Stop trying to convince/get your family to view mental health any differently than they have been.

As much as one may think being honest with everything that goes on with oneself, one shouldn't consider continue trying to get others close to them, even loved ones to view their illness and overall the whole subject as a whole differently. And they should do this because it's not worth putting your mental health at risk.

Every decision you make for the rest of your life, should be one of your few main priorities of your own mental health. If something puts your mental health at risk, don't even consider it. Your mental health isn't worth the risk nor anything putting yourself at harm, including your continual survival/existence on earth.

Don't kill yourself. Don't harm yourself with razors, knives, pain killers, drugs (overdose) and other things. You are not a failure, nor anything your illness, stigma and discrimination labels you. You are not labeled by your illness either. You are much more than you may think. You may be suffering, but it's only temporary. It just may be hard to have that hope that it does get better in your near future. You are worthy of love, affection & belonging. You are good enough, more than you may lead yourself to believe. You are special. You are amazing. You are beautiful. You are loved. You are validated, by yourself. And that's what matters. If those who are true to you even after knowing about the real truth of you battling/fighting your own demon in your own mind, and they still support you all the way, that's another thing that matters. But those who refuse to, stop trying to control them, or get them to view this epidemic any differently.

It's your own mental health that you should focus on. From now on, it's up to those who are not supportive for you in this journey of yours. And that's the way it has to be. Two things that come to mind in recovery, is not letting your illness/diagnosis define who you are and not being ashamed of your illness anymore. That is two great things to be proud of yourself for.