My Hero

What is a hero?

In light of the new superheroes in Paris, the students of Ms Bustier's class were to write a speech about what a hero is to them. 

Of course, most of the class said stuff about saving lives and beating villains. Then it was Alya's turn. And what she said turned her best friend to tears and earned her a round of applause worthy of a talent show.

"In light of the appearance of real life superheroes in Paris, I've set up a blog dedicated to them. And I've gotten interviews from both of them, I've seen them in action. they've saved my life. But saving lives isn't what makes a hero. A hero can be anyone. A hero is someone you look up to, someone who inspires you. Yes, Ladybug and Chat Noir are heroes because they inspire us to be better, to be brave. 

But, everyday people are heroes too. And, while police and firemen are heroes too, I'm not talking about them. Because a smile can brighten someone's day, a simple greeting can make someone feel so much better. An act of kindness, random or no, affects someone's life and encourages them to be kind as well. I see these acts everyday, everywhere, and most of them right in front of me.

Yesterday, I saw a crying child in a park. I didn't know what to do, and so many people just walked right past her. But just as I noticed her, someone else did too." 

That was when she stopped and shot a smile at the blunette, seated and covering her mouth with her hands as if to say 'You didn't.'

"My best friend, Marinette, knelt in front of her and asked what was wrong. She took the child to her bakery, gave her a pastry and they stayed at the park together, playing games, keeping her happy until the girl's mother showed up. She didn't get anything out of this. If anything, she was late to class. All she got was a huge smile, a huge thank you, and a new friend. 

I see her do so many things like this everyday, and every time she does, she inspires me to be better. She stands up for what is right, she knows when she's made a mistake and she isn't afraid to fall, but she always gets back up again. She has touched so many lives and she doesn't get a reward. She didn't get a statue of her set up in the park or a blog dedicated to her. She doesn't get paid to be kind, to put in her all, to care. And because of that, and because she still does despite that, Marinette is my hero."

Marinette was crying now, eyes on her but her eyes only for her best friend who believed so much in her as to make a speech about her.

"What makes you a hero isn't a suit, or superpowers. What makes you a hero is the ability to do good and to use that ability. What makes you a hero is changing someone's day for the better just because you noticed. What makes you a hero is being a friend to everyone, even if they don't deserve it. What makes you a hero is being someone worth looking up to. Marinette is my hero because she is all this and more. 

That's what a hero is to me. So I'll try my best to follow my best friend, and be someone's hero. And I hope that you try your best to be a hero for someone too."

Alya got an A, needless to say. But her speech wasn't for the grade. It was her way of being a hero, by inspiring her classmates to be heroes.

This is just a short thing I decided to do, because I think, sometimes people forget what a hero is. You don't have to be famous to be a hero, you don't have to be courageous or skillful or happy. And that speech is what I think makes a hero, because I know, in so many ways, you guys can be heroes too. You guys are heroes to me, with every comment and vote, it really makes me smile every time. 

Take the time to appreciate the world, because while it may be cruel, it truly is beautiful. So many people, all of them moving and changing and evolving and learning, and we get to be a part of it. Make someone's day. Smile, not because you have to, but because you can. Be happy, and inspire others to be happy. Let someone know you appreciate them. Tell your loved ones you love them because you never know when it could all come crashing down. Be a cliche because the reason we use them so much is because maybe, just maybe, they're right. Live, love and laugh. Look on the bright side of life. Be whoever you want to be. Be a hero. You never know who might need it. 

I just felt the need to say that, because a lot of people I love are going through tough times, and people you love might be going through tough times too. If for no other reason, be a hero for them.