Damn Ladybug

Marinette

Normally, I'm a very shy, clumsy girl. But not when I'm Ladybug, or when I'm performing. Yes, I sing. A little. Okay, a lot. Alya found out last week, I have no clue how she missed it, I am literally humming things all the time, and she encouraged me to sign up for the talent show. Well, not really a talent show, more like a bunch of performances put on by students in front of Jagged Stone, the Mayor and a 'special guest' which is always Chloe (big surprise). So now, I'm backstage, in my outfit and going through the lyrics of the song I'm about to sing.

After two years of my crush on Adrien, I overheard him talking about how much he loves a girl. She's brave, witty, strong, graceful, smart, fierce and fiery. Which I am not. So, obviously I'm heartbroken, but I keep my emotions in check to avoid an akuma. But the song I'm about to sing will help me find closure. I hope. He's going to be in the audience somewhere.

Glancing nervously down at my outfit one last time, I sigh in relief as it's not dirty. It's an innocent white dress, with a flare-out skirt, tight bodice and sweetheart neckline, and two pieces of silk which I attached to the sides, with a loop for my fingers. It gives the illusion of wings. My hair is curled and I have light makeup everywhere but my eyes. Alya insisted on dramatic eyeliner, mascara and eye-shadow and I ended up with a smokey eye look with long wings and my lashes are curled and she even put false lashes on me. It would definitely highlight my blue eyes and contrast with my dress, though. I'll have to thank her later. My new white ballet shoes provide me with strength and grace, possibly even more than my Ladybug mask. Maybe I should wear ballet flats more often. It would probably help me against Chloe, and with Adrien. Who am I kidding, I have no chance with Adrien anymore.

The curtain closes and Juleka walks offstage, smiling briefly at me. I return the smile before walking to the centre of the stage. Calming my beating heart with a breath, I look down, letting the blinding white spotlight make my dress glitter. I wish I could thank Max and Nathanael for letting me use the brightest spotlight, and turning off all the other lights in the auditorium. 

"Was 27, surviving my return of Saturn
A long vacation didn't sound so bad
Was full of secrets, locked up tight like Iron Mountain
Running on empty, so out of gas

Thought I wasn't enough
Found I wasn't so tough
Laying on the bathroom floor
We were living on a fault line
And I felt the fault was all mine
Couldn't take it anymore.

As I sing, I move across the stage gracefully, bending my knees and dipping every now and then. All of my classmates are shocked, I can tell from their expressions. Ha. Clumsy old Marinette has all the grace of a ballerina. I don't let my amusement show on my face, only expressing sorrowful strength.

"By the grace of God
There was no other way
I picked myself back up
I knew I had to stay
I put one foot in front of the other
And I looked in the mirror
And decided to stay
Wasn't gonna let love take me out that way.

I catch Alya's sympathetic look before she glares at the back of Adrien's head. She's so protective, so much like my own sister that I send her a sad smile and I sing the next verse.

"I thank my sister for keeping my head above the water
When the truth was like swallowing sand
Now every morning, there is no more mourning
Oh I can finally see myself again.

Alya grins at me as I twirl, allowing my old instincts to take over. Only this time, I have no mask as I slowly dance across the stage. I can practically hear the questions now - When did you do ballet, Marinette? Ha. I didn't always just design and bake.