HOW I WISH IT ENDED - Evillustrator (again)

BRINGING THIS BACK OH MY GOD THROWBACK THURSDAY

ONE SCENE IN PARTICULAR this is gonna be fuuuuun

Marinette sighed as Sabrina stormed away. Seriously, she did have something to do! It involved saving the city! Sometimes she wondered if secret identities were even helpful... Yeah they were, she should never reveal herself. To anyone. Ever.

Chat Noir thumped down in front of her abruptly.

So logically she shrieked and flailed her arms, before falling backwards only to be caught and pulled up by the leather-clad boy in front of her, who was grinning with amusement.

"Damn cat! You scared the heck out of me!" She scolded, poking his chest with one hand on her hip. Shock flashed across his face at her confidence, but he relaxed into an easy smirk.

"Don't blame me, I thought I was going to have to save you from that girl's claws." He stretched out his hands in a way that looked like claws. "Get it? Claws? Well, you obviously know who I am, but I haven't formally introduced myself. I'm Chat Noir." He got down on one knee and took her hand, planting a kiss on it. Marinette didn't bother to hide the way she rolled her eyes as she pulled her hand out of his grip.

"Yup, I know, you're kind of on TV all the time, and my best friend's blog." She chuckled, thinking of Alya's obsession with her alter ego. "Anyway, what are you doing here?" She faked interest while internally she yawned.

He smirked again and started showing off, flexing and stretching. Marinette rolled her eyes again and mocked him behind his back. "Well, that birthday boy date of yours is bad news. But don't worry - I'll be your knight for tonight's ball, Princess." He turned to face her again and only just caught her whipping her hands behind her back.

"You think I need a knight, Prince Charming?" She smiled sweetly and watched as once again shock flashed across his face before letting out a giggle. "Well, that puts my mind at ease."

"But I am going to need a little help. Care to assist a superhero?" He leaned on her door frame, uncomfortably close.

Quietly, she snorted and mumbled to herself. "Superheroes shouldn't need help." Quickly she addressed him before he got suspicious. "What about Ladybug? Aren't you a duo?" She turned around, imitating his next response again.

"She's busy with something tonight so... You get to be my Ladybug." His response made her squeak and turn around again, letting out more Ladybug sass than she intended.

"Listen, kitty, I appreciate the protection, but I ain't a damsel in distress. I'm no Cinderella, maybe more like Mulan. I don't need a knight in... somewhat shiny leather, and I definitely don't need flirting from a guy who isn't even serious." She paused to giggle at his expression, which was surprised shock and his mouth was adorably open. "And anyway, have you seen me? I'm literally the clumsiest person in Paris, I am certainly... no replacement for Ladybug."

She hid her sad truth behind a fake smile. Chat narrowed his eyes slightly - he easily identified the fake smile, as he often hid behind a fake smile himself. He sighed, dropped the flirty facade he thought would make her feel more comfortable and stared her right in the eye.

"I have seen you." He smiled as her head jerked up, meeting his eyes with her swirling blue pools. "I really shouldn't be telling you this, but I know you underneath my mask, and I have seen you. You're clumsy, sure, but you're also kind, bubbly, smart, honestly adorable-" He paused to chuckle at the way her cheeks instantly flushed with colour. "-and talented. You stand up for yourself and your friends, so you don't fall short on strength, and you try so hard to make everyone smile. It's no wonder this Evillustrator has a crush on you."

She looked down, bit her lip before meeting his eyes again, a real smile on her face this time. "Thank you, Chat."

His signature grin returned to his face. "I've also noticed you're incredibly shy around that one guy, what's his name? Ah right, Adrien Agreste." She froze and a nervous smile worked its way onto her face.

"Uh- that's because... well, you see, I-" She let out a defeated sigh. "I have a huge crush on him. Everyone can see it but him." She rolled her eyes affectionately, not noticing the way Chat had stiffened. "I mean, it's pathetic really. And very cliche, an aspiring designer has a crush on a model."

"Why do you like him, pray tell?" Chat teased, hiding his inner shock and self-doubt inside. Of course he hadn't seen that she had a crush on him, he was too wrapped up in Ladybug!

"Not for his looks if that's what you're implying." She eyed the superhero, who shrugged. "It was... his honesty, his kindness, his patience with my annoying stuttering and with Chloe, his..." Her eyes trailed to the side, a genuine smile lighting up her eyes. "His warm smile, his laugh, the way his eyes shone with earnest apologies and warmth in the rain..."

Chat glanced to the ground. "Sounds like you love him"

"I wouldn't go so far as to love, because I don't really know him all that well. And that's partially my fault, because I can't say two words to the guy. But I can't help but wonder, who he is, underneath that false smile? Who is he underneath the mask?" She sighed, looking off into the distance. "If I keep the way I am, I guess I'll never know." She smiled sadly before turning to Chat once more. "Anyway, my date is at sunset, at the river. You should get going, you don't to spend the next four or so hours with me."

She let out a light laugh. He grinned. "What would you say if I did want to stay with you?" After all, I don't know you well either, and I really want to.

She blinked in surprise, breaking out into a slow grin. "I would invite you in." The same grin on her face, she moved out of the doorway and gestured inside. With an identical smile, he stepped in, she closed the door behind him.

For the next four hours, they talked and laughed and became friends. Chat couldn't help but feel he'd been missing out on this warm, fun girl. Marinette felt if he liked this side of her, maybe she could reveal herself to him.

Both found a new feeling inside. The question is, what was it?

I love sarcastic Marinette. And Marichat. And Marinette and Chat Noir in general.