Chapter 8

"I'm gonna miss you", I told Matthew. I gave him a hug before he said his goodbyes to Zoey and Luke.

"Hey, during summer break I'll be at the airport waiting for you", Matthew told me. I smiled, I gave him a hug before he turned to leave. I waited until his plane left then we all left. I was happy that I had gotten to see my brother a few days before he had to go back home. We lived in Tennessee but when it came to deciding colleges Zoey, Luke, and I decided to go to college in North Carolina.

"Hey, the town carnival is today. Do you want to come with us?", Luke asked me.

"Oh shit, it is today. I can't I told Mr. Lincoln that I'd help me with his stand. I'll see you guys there though.", I completely forgot about the carnival. I grabbed my phone and sent Miles an email.

Anna: Hey, what time should I meet you at the carnival?

Miles: Hey, you can meet me at my class in a few if you can. I need some help loading the game stuff into my truck.

Anna: Okay, I'll be there soon

Miles: Great!

"Luke can you drop me off near Mr. Lincoln's class, he needs some help loading stuff in his truck and asked if I could help", I asked. Luke looked at me through his rearview mirror and a smirk appeared on his lips.

"Sure. I'll help my buddy Mr. Lincoln out", he chuckled.

I groaned, here we go again.

"He does seem interested in you", Zoey chimed in. I laughed and shook my head. "You guys he is a teacher, my teacher and he does not seem or is interested in me.", I shook my head.

Luke and Zoey shook their head laughing. Soon Luke put the car to a stop and I saw Miles loading stuff into his truck.

"Thanks, see you guys there", I said getting out of the car.

"You love birds have fun.", Luke laughed before driving away. I walked towards Miles, when he saw me he greeted me with a smile before continuing loading stuff into his truck. There was a kiddy pool, a container of duckies, and lots of containers with prizes. I helped Miles with the kiddy pool into the truck along with the container of duckies.

"Not all of the stuff will fit in the bed of the truck but we can put some stuff in the back seat", Miles said. I nodded before loading containers full of small toys, stuffed animals, and other things. When we were done Miles walked over to me with a water bottle, I thanked him before taking it.

"You ready?", He asked.

"Yep", I replied as I hopped in the passenger seat of Miles's truck.

••••

"Finally", I sighed. We finished setting everything up, filling the pool with water, and numbering the duckies. I hung up the stuffed animals against the canopy that was over our station. Miles walked over with two chairs and set them next to each other.

"It's going to be a long night.", Miles laughed sitting down.

I nodded before sitting down next to him. I liked spending time with Miles he was good company and he didn't make you uncomfortable.

"Tons of kids will be at our station, you sure you can handle it?", I joked.

"Kids love me", Miles smirked looking at me.

"We'll see.", I laughed.

We waited for about an hour until we started seeing people show up. We had some kids come to our station and I helped them. As time passed we started getting more kids and even some teenagers at our game. Miles helped them and encouraged them if they didn't pick a duck with the star on it. A woman came over with her little boy who looked about three and Miles walked over to them. She gave Miles two tickets and they walked over to the pool.

"Alright, so you're going to pick a duck and we'll see if you win.", Miles told the little boy. I watched smiling, Miles was talking to him so gently. The little boy looked at the ducks floating around before leaning over and picking one. He handed it to Miles who was smiling at him.

"Would you look at that! Are you cheating?", he asked the little boy. He giggled and shook his head. "Well, then it's your lucky day go on ahead and pick a prize.", Miles told him. The little boy pointed to a blue penguin. Miles grabbed it then handed it to him.

"There you go, bud."

The little boy handed it to his mother who gave him a soft smile then thanked Miles before they walked away. The way Miles talked and acted towards the little boy made me smile wide. I never saw that side of him and I was glad I did. This may be crazy but seeing him with that little boy was all it took to make me fall in love.

"What?", Miles asked me.

"Nothing", I said.

"You're smiling ear to ear", Miles laughed. He walked to me until he was in front of me. I looked into his eyes and his pupils dilated.

"Are you hungry? I'll get us some food", I asked looking away from him. "Whatever you get", he said. I nodded before walking away, this was ridiculous I shouldn't be feeling this way about my professor. I walked around until I found a food stand then I got in line. I heard my stomach grumble and I sighed.

"Anna", I heard someone call. I looked around to see Logan. "Logan, hey", I waved at him.

"Are you here with Luke and Zoey?", he asked.

"I'm actually helping Mr. Lincoln with his stand we are doing that pick a duck game", I said.

Logan nodded before it began silently. The guy in the food stand called next and I walked over to him, ordering two hot dogs. He handed them to me and I paid for them before walking towards Logan.

"Who are you here with?", I asked.

"A girl invited me to come with her", he said slowly. He shifted uncomfortably and I laughed nodding.

"Cool", I said. I didn't want Logan to feel like I was upset about it because I wasn't, him and I are just friends.

"Hey", A girl said wrapping her arm around Logan and holding out her hand. "I'm Raven".

"Anna", I said shaking her hand.

Logan scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "Well, you two have fun and stop by our game if you have a chance. It's a kid game but still fun.", I said smiling.

"Okay", Raven said.

I walked away and saw a group of teenage girls around Miles. They were all giggly and you could tell they were attracted to Miles. I laughed at the sight, it was funny seeing young girls bubbly over a guy. I reached them and handed Miles his hot dog, he thanked me and I nodded. I could feel the girls glaring at me. I didn't want them to feel like I did it purposely because I found it amusing.

"You girls should play", I said. They all protested until Miles told them that the game was fun then they wanted to play. After they got a prize then walked away Miles turned to me with wide eyes laughing.

"I've never experienced that before", he said. I laughed and shrugged, "Girls will be girls", I laughed. The rest of the night was a bit slow then eventually it was time to pack up and Miles and I loaded everything back into the truck.