I notice Alex among them and he rolls his eyes, mouthing "show off" and pretending to flip his non-existent long hair in a dramatic manner.

"That was sick," Louis tells me, a bright grin on his face. He lifts his palm, expecting me to high-five him, which I end up doing.

I feel someone's touch on my shoulder, followed by Liam's body moving in front of mine. "That was terrifying. And hot." He laughs lightly. "Not that I'm flirting." He lifts his hands. "Just saying."

"Is this a thing with you guys? Everyone feels the need to make flirty comments about my sister in front of me," Alex says.

"If you're done with playing games," H's deep voice is heard above everyone else's, silence quickly filling the room, "I'd appreciate it if you all went back to your duties. You're leaving in a few minutes." His eyes are slightly narrowed, no humour or amusement present on his features.

"Okay, time for the goodbye hug!" Alex says cheerfully, spreading his arms for me.

"Yaasss!" I say with equal enthusiasm,  my lips pulling in a smile.

I step toward him and sneak my arms around his torso, feeling the warmth of his body. His arms wind themselves around me, squeezing tightly. "The goodbye hug" is our little ritual we have every time one of us is going on a mission, as a way of showing we care and wishing good luck. Actions speak louder than words, after all.

As everyone quickly scatters, we pull away and fist bump each other before he runs outside. I decide to follow Liam and Louis, wanting to help with the last preparations. However, a hand clamps over my shoulder, my body being pulled back gently. My gaze drifts to H's green eyes, his expression less stern than a few seconds ago.

"You won't regret it," I tell him, feeling like he needs to be reassured. I appreciate he's decided to put his trust in us since he had valid reasons for doubting us. I hope his doubts will dissolve after today's attack and Alex and I earn to be a part of this base, even if it might not be for too long.

He nods, his hand reaching for my cheek as he takes a cautious step forward. My heart immediately picks up its pace and as if I'm drawn to him, I instinctively take a step toward him as well. I expect him to say something, but instead, his head bends slightly, his lips pressing to mine.

As soon as I register what happened, he pulls back, his palm still pressed to my cheek. "Take care."

My lips part, his actions and words leaving me stunned and wanting more. But before I can even say anything, he's walking toward the door and leaving the room, my cheek still feeling tingles where his hand previously was.

. . . .

"So, why isn't H going to this mission with us?" I ask. "He seems like the type of person who wants to make sure the job is done right."

"You're right, he is. But H doesn't go on missions," Liam says, his eyes briefly moving from the road to glance at me, "ever."

"Lou, you're basically sitting on me," I hear Tori say to him, both of them settled on the back seat. I wanted to sit next to Tori, but Louis pushed me away. I've learnt their relationship is based on banters and funny innuendos, but neither of them wants to admit what is so obvious.

"It's more comfortable that way," he replies and I take a glance at them, seeing a playful grin on his face while Tori gives him an odd look.

"Fine," she says through a sigh and Louis slowly takes her hand. Tori doesn't say anything, only wraps her fingers around it.

I smile and turn back, leaning on my seat, adjusting the rifle in my lap.  Despite the light atmosphere in the vehicle, anxiousness is settled in the pit of my stomach. I wasn't expecting to cross on the East side ever again and the closer we are, the more nervous I get.  I'm used to these types of missions and I don't have a problem with that, it's the fact that the base is connected with a very dark period of my life, every bad memory I can think of having something to do with Vortex.