He scoffs. "No--"

"Leave," David cuts him off. "Now."

He glares at him and turns on his heel, stomping as he leaves the dimly lit hallway filled with cellars. What's his problem?

"So," David says, taking a cigar tucked behind his ear and lighting it before his blue eyes focus on me. "How may I help you?"

. . . .

After half an hour spent conversing with David, Alex and I finally leave the stuffy cellar, the weight I've been carrying somehow feeling lighter now.  The conversation went better than I had hoped, but mostly because he has proved to be a kind and understanding person.  As promised, there are soldiers waiting for us in the hallway outside, ready to lead us to our compound. We did it. We're staying in Hazard.

The corners of my lips pull up into a small smile as I grab Alex's warm hand, our eyes meeting. He smiles as well, raising his eyebrow as if saying, "I told you so." We mustn't relax now, though, it's a matter of time before they realise where we are, no matter the protection David has promised us.

My eyes lock with the pair of blazing green ones belonging to the snappy soldier from earlier. He eyes us, scoffing as he turns and starts leading the way.  I completely understand his irritation, I would probably act the same if the people who had intruded my base suddenly stayed in it. When we exit the building, the soldiers stop, turning to face us.

The green-eyed soldier looks at Alex. "You go with him," he nods toward the other soldier, "and you follow me," he tells me.

"Wait, we're not staying together?" I ask.

"I'm afraid your boyfriend and you will be separated," he says, sarcasm lacing his voice. "Welcome to Hazard, darling."

"He's my brother," I clarify, not that it's any of his business.

Alex squeezes my hand reassuringly before following the other soldier. My arms fold protectively over my chest as I look at the other one, expecting him to lead the way.  Instead, he narrows his eyes at me, stepping too close to my comfort zone, his fingers curling around the handle of his handgun tucked under his belt.

"Who are you exactly?" He demands, his deep voice having an edge to it.

"A new soldier here," I answer calmly, unphased by his attempt to appear intimidating. I have enough experience with testosterone-filled alpha males to be scared so easily. 

"You will address me as sir," he orders after staring at me for a few moments. "Follow me."

I'm grateful he doesn't question me further and I oblige to his command, literally biting my tongue to prevent myself from saying something that could get me in trouble.  I flip him off quickly as soon as he turns his back to me, not caring my behaviour is childish. Arrogance simply annoys me.  It appears this young man holds a high position in here and I make a mental note to remember that.

He leads me toward the other side of the base, taking long and fast strides, my body barely keeping up with his. A girl around my age awaits for us, standing a few metres away from one of the buildings scattered across the enormous expanse of ground this base is covering.  She greets him and they exchange a few words during which she sends me a few glances.

After a few seconds, the green-eyed man turns his head, looking at me. "You," he calls gruffly. "Come."

I approach them carefully, standing beside him as I look at the girl in front of me. I take in her delicate features as her big brown eyes observe me, her silky dark hair tied in a neat ponytail.  "H, are you sure?" She asks him, still looking at me.