viii. | Be My Mistake

(Beau's Outfit)

(Beau's Outfit)

chapter eight; be my partner?
B E A U

"Don't worry. I'm not gonna go all Shawshank on you." Kurt said as he walked up to my gym locker in the boy's locker room.

"This is kind of weird. Guys usually don't talk to each other in here. We don't even talk while we're brushing our teeth in the bathroom at home." I laughed awkwardly.

"Well, this can't wait. I'm setting you free. You can do your duet with someone else in the glee club. Someone that the world deems more appropriate." Kurt announced and I looked at him confusedly.

"Did I do something to offend you? If I did then, I sincerely apologize." I asked genuinely. "No, no. It's not you, it's me. You've been honorable, actually, and I wish you the best." He reassured me.

"But I've realized that I need to sing with someone that matches my passion and talent level." Kurt expressed. "Who's that?" I asked curiously. "You'll find out soon enough." He smiled before exiting the locker room.

>>>

"I love astronomy. Something about all that space makes my problems seem kind of small. That one's Venus. Planet of love." I expressed as Quinn and I entered the empty science classroom.

"It's actually Mars, the planet of war." The head cheerleader corrected me. "I was never good at science." I laughed embarrassedly. "So, which planet are we on?" I asked curiously.

"Earth. So why don't you come back to it and talk to me about duets? Tell me why I should be singing with you." She asked me seriously. "The simple answer? It's because you're my best friend." I responded.

"The honest answer is that we both don't have a partner. For our performance, I was thinking that we perform something grand." I smiled. "Grand?" Quinn repeated and I nodded my head.

"And I want you to be front and center of it." I added. "That's not how duets work." She laughed. "I didn't say that I won't have any parts. You're just going to be the star of our performance." I replied.

"You never told me what song you wanted to sing." She pointed out. "It's called Edge of Great. I wrote it. I'm gonna play the electric guitar and the glee club's drummer and bassist are going to play." I explained.

"Oh! And for the beginning verse and the ending verse, you're going to play the piano. Do you know how to play?" I asked. "No." She said as she shook her head. "Thank goodness I brought a keyboard with me." I said.