Chapter Twenty Five

As Xiumin and I went to his room, Luhan and his roommate, Lay, were already there.

“Come on in kiddo, have a seat.” Lay patted the bedside where he was sitting. Xiumin and Luhan sat in front of us.

“So, how does this thing work?” I asked Xiumin.

“Well, theoretically, to prevent your body from burning to ashes, we’re going to protect your body by combining our powers. Luhan will make some sort of power shield, then Lay will fill it with his healing power while I strengthen the shield with my power since mine and yours are the opposite.” Xiumin explained.

“What we still don’t know is how strong the force your power would produce when on its peak.” Luhan said.

“That’s why we need you now. To test it out.” Xiumin added.

“But when I was inside the lake earlier, I also lost control of my power. I think it was on its peak, but still I turned out alright. I mean, my body was fine. I wouldn’t have fainted if it didn’t happen underwater.” I reasoned out.

Xiumin looked at Luhan, then scratched his head before turning back to me.

“We honestly don’t know how that happened, but it’s best if we don’t bet on something uncertain. We should at least prepare for the worst.”

“Okay, so what should I do now?”

“I’m sorry if it would sound cruel, but we need you to try and burn a part of your body while we try to combine our powers to protect and heal it.” Xiumin said with an apologetic looks.

“Sure, no problem, I can do that.” I tried to sound determined despite of the pain I know I will possibly feel by going through this process.

“Wait, shouldn’t we ask Kai to teleported us out of here first? I think it’s dangerous if we try this inside the house.” Luhan reminded.

“I’ll go,” I volunteered and walked out of the room. I assumed that they were all still in the living room so I headed there. But when I passed by one of the boys’ bedroom, I heard Kai’s voice from inside it. So I stopped and lifted my hand to knock on the door that was slightly open. But the next voice that came from inside stopped me from doing so.

“...I feel so worthless right now and I hate it.” it was Chanyeol’s voice.

“Chanyeol-ah, nobody’s blaming you. And we all know what kind of a girl Haru is. She would never even think of blaming you for any of this.” I recognize the calm voice as D.O’s.

I still stood frozen in front of their door, feeling guilty for eavesdropping, but my curiosity nailed me to my spot.

“Hyung, don’t do this to yourself, please…” it’s Kai again.

“It’s just that if anything bad happens to her because of this, I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself.” Chanyeol let out a deep sigh.

“Ever since she found my pin, it seems like only bad things happened to her because of it. Her best friend betrayed her, she fought with her cousin, and now she even has to risk her life because of me. I can’t help but think that she’s better off without me.”

Even without seeing his face, I could already feel the pain in his voice. And the Phoenix’s voice echoed in my mind.

YOU DO NOT HAVE FAITH FOR YOUR PARTNER. YOU LOVE YOUR PARTNER MORE THAN YOUR OWN LIFE, BUT YOU DO NOT THINK YOUR PARTNER FEELS THE SAME. YOUR DESIRE TO PROTECTED HIM ALONE IS WHAT MAKES YOU LOSE BALANCE.

It’s all my fault and I never told him that. He should blame me instead of himself. If only I’m not this idiotic low self-esteem girl, we’re probably a lovey dovey couple right now that’s not going through these self-blaming problems.