Chapter Eighteen

Once there was a girl who met an ability wielder. Even before their encounter, she was already fated to be his anima. She has the power of fire, and after she met her ability wielder partner, her power continued to grow faster than the average anima would. They managed to raise a family of their own, and since it was a time of peace, they rarely used their power. But just like all else, that peace eventually came to an end.

On one certain day, her partner suddenly collapsed. After bringing him to be treated by an elder, they found out that she was the cause, as she was draining up his energy all along. It was mainly the reason why she could master her ability that fast. The elders thought she was dangerous for her partner, so they banned her and separated her from her family. But nevertheless, even though they were no longer together, she already absorbed too much from her partner, and it was too late for his soul to be saved. Soon, he died.

The anima grieved so much over her partner's death that she lost control of her power. She caused so much instability to nature and brought misfortune and destruction to so many people. Seeing that there was already no chance to bring her back to her senses, the elders decided to punish her, but instead she surrendered herself for execution.

Since then, she was never heard of or seen again, and eventually came to be known as the superior anima.

After I heard the summary of Xiumin's research on the superior anima, I felt like all my energy left my body. I slumped on their living room floor, feeling more lifeless than ever. D.O approached me and helped me sit on the couch. He rubbed my shoulder to comfort me, while everyone in the room was dead silent.

"So, what's that got to do with my vision?" I finally found my voice to ask, though I already had this uneasy feeling in my heart.

"Well, your inner spirit, or what we usually call 'inspirit', is a Phoenix. And based on what you said, the Phoenix has already partly revealed itself to you through your dreams. Though you didn't know about it, it seems you already started absorbing Chanyeol's ability." Xiumin explained regretfully, knowing that what he was saying would only hurt me even more. But it was the inevitable fact.

"Once an ability wielder and an anima meets, their half souls are supposed to be finally one. But in you and Chanyeol's case, instead of sharing the ability half and half among you two, you're absorbing all of the ability to yourself alone. If this continues, unfortunately, it will leave Chanyeol with nothing."

"But... why does it have to be dangerous for an ability wielder? I mean, I'm just taking Chanyeol oppa's ability, not his life. He still could live as a normal person, right?" I asked again, trying to hold on to the tiny hope I had left.

"I'm afraid it doesn't work that way, Haru-ya." Xiumin answered quietly.

"We were born as ability wielders, so our abilities are already engraved in our souls. If we lose our ability, it means we also lose our soul."

It felt like my whole world just crumbled to pieces. I can't feel or hear anything. Suddenly, the whole world felt so quiet and empty. Just earlier this evening, Chanyeol and I were having a great time, but now, it seems like everything just turned upside down.

"Look, this is just our first theory, and nothing is certain yet. This is not the end, Haru-ya..." Tao's voice snapped me back to reality. I didn't even realize that he was already sitting beside me on the couch.

"We'll find a way, there's a lot of Elders out there with much more experiences than us, and we could seek for their advice. Don't worry, we'll do everything we can so nothing bad will happen to you and Chanyeol. We're like your brothers now you know, and we will never leave you alone in this."