Chapter 10 - Let her go

Start from the beginning

This time as she continued walking, he didn’t follow her. He sat in his car staring ahead, looking as if he had just been slapped.

“It’s for the best Ashley. He wanted more than you could give and it’s always better to push them away than give them false hope.” Even with her own reassurance, she still doubted that it was the right decision.

Was it right that she had acted with her anger? Probably not. Would she regret what she did later? Possibly. Did she want to go back and change what she did? Most definitely not.

She had made her choice and was going to stand by it. Whether it hurt or not, it was what she decided. If she couldn’t trust her own decision, what could she trust?

Pulling out her phone, she searched through her contacts for the one she was looking for. Finding it, she pressed the call button and put it to her ear as she waited for them to answer.

“Hey, I’m so glad you called. I was getting really worried that you wouldn’t show. I’m so glad you’re okay.” She paused to take another breath. “You’re coming in today, right? You’re not calling to say you quit?”

Ashley smiled at how nervous she wounded. “I don’t want to quit, but I wanted to call to say I can’t come into work today. There’s something I have to do. Is that all right?”

She heard a bit of shuffling around before the mic was covered. Muffled voices carried through the speaker, but not enough for her to make it out.

“Um, Ashley, would it be all right if you just came in for like ten minutes? I have something I wanted to show you and it can’t really wait till tomorrow. Please? It’ll only take ten minutes, I promise.”

With an inward groan she agreed, changing her course to head to work. “Only ten minutes.”

Laura laughed and cheered before quickly saying goodbye.

Chuckling, Ashley shook her head and pulled up the next number. It was the same process until they answered.

“Hey Ash, I’m with Little A right now. Please come and save me. She’s been asking about you nonstop since she got here. I’m going to go insane if you don’t get here.”

“I wanna talk to her! Give me the phone. Let me talk to her!” The little voice on the other end had her laughing.

“Let me talk to her for you Julian.” He sighed in relief and she heard as the phone was moved around.

“Ashley, is it really you?”

“Yes Little A, it’s really me. I hear you’re driving Julian mad.”

She giggled and whispered her reply. “It was really funny.”

Chuckling, Ashley glanced around before crossing the street. “I bet it was. It would’ve been fun to be there to see it.”

She heard a little sigh that sounded just too adorable. “Can you come over?”

“I’m sorry Little A, but I have to go to work right now. Give Julian back the phone so I can talk to him for a moment please?”

“Okay…” Her little voice sounded on the verge of tears and Ashley nearly smacked herself.

“What’d you say to the poor child? She’s about to cry and all her energy has just vanished.”

“I’m sorry Julian, but I can’t deal with that right now. Do you know what the rose means on Verden?”

He groaned. “What did Scott do?”

She walked into the diner, passed all the surprisingly empty tables, and into the kitchen. “He-“

“Surprise!” Confetti was thrown at her and she looked around in confusion at all the people. There had never once been a time where all the employees were in the kitchen at one time.