Chapter Twenty Four: Our Ability

"Listen up kids, you've got to learn how to control your abilities but before you can do that you need to learn about them," Mike said, flipping on the screen behind him. "We know you've already figured out how to communicate with each other, and that you have a photographic memory but you can do so much more than that."

My gaze flickered to Ty who didn't seem to be paying attention to the lesson at all. I rolled my eyes even though he couldn't see me. Turning my attention back to Mike, something caught my eye.

Anton had his arm draped over Hannah's shoulder pulling her closer into him. I shuddered in disgust. I hated the feeling of being trapped. I wanted to save Hannah from Anton. She'd only get hurt because of him and I knew that. But, it didn't matter what I knew, I couldn't say anything about it.

Mike continued with the lesson. "Your minds, along with the chips, are very advanced and intricate. We would not have put so much time, money, and effort into the experiment if all we were working towards was a photographic memory. One of the first things your chip was designed to do was connect to other electronic devices."

"Because of this, you're able to connect to a computer, television, or phone and gather data and information from them. You're also able to have the Internet in your head which gives you access to an infinite amount of information. If we went to a government facility, you three would be a huge threat to their secrets."

That made sense. It was one of the reasons the government would want us captured. We were the only humans on the planet who could break in and steel classified information easily.

"Also, I'm sure you have been noticing the progressive change in your sight and hearing. The chip is working to give you that ability. Soon, you'll be able to see thing hundreds of feet away as clearly as something right in front of you. You will also, in time, be able to see body heat and have x-Ray vision. Your hearing should slowly be improving. When it's completely finished, you'll be able to hear things from large distances away."

"One of the most impressive abilities you have is the ability to download data into your mind. If you downloaded a complete guide on how to play the piano, you'd instantly know how to," Mike explained.

"Wait," Ty interjected, his mouth hanging open. "You're telling me that if I downloaded how to speak Spanish right now I'd instantly know how to speak the language?"

Mike grinned and nodded. "That is exactly what I am saying."

"Wow, that's amazing. I wish I had that kind of brain." Hannah joked.

"We are working towards being able to implant chips in adults, but we've found that the chip doesn't function properly unless it develops along with the person as they grow up," Mike informed.

"So has Anton learned to control all of his abilities?" Ty asked an edge of bitterness to his voice although I wasn't sure why.

"Um, no. Not even close," Mike scoffed which earned him a glare from Anton. "Anton has just recently began learning how to communicate with you guys mentally."

I nodded in understanding but what Mike had said didn't add up.

"Mike are we able to read each other's minds even when the other person doesn't allow them to?" I asked.

Mike raised an eyebrow in question as he sat down behind the desk. He ran a hand over his shiny head. "No, you can not. Because your chips are connected we made it possible for you to turn the connection off and on so to speak. Basically, you can control who is hearing your thoughts."

Anton turned his head shooting a glare at me with his swampy green eyes. My eyebrows knit together in confusion. Anton had known what I was thinking on several occasions, and I hadn't allowed him to.