Chapter Fourteen: Ten Degrees

I shoved my backpack into the water tight compartment at the back of the kayak and kicked off my sneakers and slipped into water shoes. Anton had mentioned there might be areas where the current was to strong and we'd be better off walking with the kayaks so I changed into a pair of quick drying shorts and a plain navy blue tank top.

"Okay, let's go!" Anton announced, shoving his kayak into the water and wading in up to his shins before swinging a tan leg over the side and slipping into the dark green kayak.

Hannah and I followed easily, each climbing up into are own kayaks. Ty stared at us, apprehensively pushing his kayak into the shallow water.

"Come on! We don't have all day!" Anton whined. I shot him a glare which shut him up.

"Ty, what's wrong?" I asked.

I-I'm scared Rebecca! What if I have an episode in the water? I could drowned! He responded mentally.

You'll be okay Ty. We are here for you and if that happens we will help you but we have to find Dr. Belford or you'll be dead either way.

Ty nodded and took a deep breath as he climbed up into his own kayak.

Anton rolled his eyes and said, "Finally! Oh, and I think it's rude to exclude me from your mental conversations."

Ty clenched his jaw. "Well I think-"

I interrupted Ty. "We have a right to have private conversations Anton. Now let's go."

Anton sighed in frustration but didn't protest. We started paddling down stream, which all of us were thankful for. We only had to paddle slightly, but for the most part the current did the work.

I looked around me. The river was narrow and about seven feet deep. It couldn't be more than twenty feet wide. We paddled in pairs. Ty's kayak was parallel to mine but a couple feet away while Anton and Hannah were paddling ahead of us.

A bank closed us in. Roots sprung from the dirt, winding through the land. Pine trees lined the river, a breeze ruffling the green needles. A small deer trotted out to the bank, a small speckled fawn behind it. Hannah cooed, looking at the cute innocent animal hiding behind his mother. The fawn peeked his head over his mom and took a few steps forward, curious to see what we were doing.

Unfortunately we had to keep paddling which startled the doe and fawn. They scurried off as quick as they had came and were soon out of site, running deeper into the forest. Ahead was a huge mountain, it's peek reaching past the clouds. It was miles away, but it still seemed bigger than anything I'd ever seen before.

After paddling for and hour Anton stopped and turned his kayak slightly. "Okay guys, this is where it gets a little rough. I suggest we step out and walk for a while until we get through this shallow rocky part. If one of us tipped it would be really dangerous."

Hannah, Ty, and I nodded. I swung my feet over the edge of the kayak and felt it rock underneath my weight. My legs burned at the touch of the ice cold water but I ignored it and submerged the rest of my legs bare skin into the river. The water came up to my hips, getting the hem of my shirt wet.

Hannah shrieked after she jumped in. She was never one to like cold water. "The water is like 10 degrees!"

Anton laughed. "Uh no, it's like 50 degrees. Today it's warmer than usual. I'd actually guess around 55 degrees."

"Warmer than usual?" Hannah raised her eyebrows in shock.

"Yes warmer than usual," Anton said. "Let's get a move on!"

We started walking down the river. The water sloshed up my back and on my stomach but I didn't mind. The sun was beating down on us as we dragged heavy kayaks through the river so the cold  water was refreshing.