Chapter Five: Heartbreaking Message

Sometimes you know what's right and wrong. Sometimes there is no doubt in your mind what you should do. It's just plain as day. This was not one of those times. I knew what I had to do, but was it the right decision?

On one hand, Matthew could help us find Dr. Belford and I wouldn't have to hide anything from him anymore. But, on the other hand, Matthew could never want to speak to me again. Or even worse, I could be endangering myself and my family by telling Matthew.

This is where should and had get confusing. The line blurs and right and wrong mix together in a swirling pool of confusion.

When I looked back I could see Ty's eyes filled with fear. He swallowed the lump forming in his throat. I knew how badly he wanted to protest. I knew how fearful he was. It wasn't like someone simply telling me how they felt. I could feel his emotions. I could feel the mixture of rage, fear, and concern burning inside of him, trying so hard to escape. I looked at him again, and he returned with a quizzical look.

Then something unbelievable happened. His eyes widened with surprise and he nodded.

You have to tell him. I know.

I could hear his thoughts, and he must have been able to hear mine. It was like sending a message. I wanted him to hear my thoughts, and he did. I could feel his emotions, and by the look on his face, I could tell he could feel mine too. It was like using Bluetooth to connect two electronics, or sending a message over a phone. I nodded in understanding, and turned back towards my very confused brother.

"Matthew, this is kind of a long story. You might actually want to sit down."

Matthew looked at me for a second, squinted, then took a few wary steps toward the table Ty and I were sitting at.

"When I was just born, right after mom died-" I began to tell Matthew about the surgery. He was to young when it happened to know, and he was never told the full story. He always thought I went into surgery so they could quickly fix a birth defect in my foot. I told him about the computer chip and my photographic memory.

"Your saying someone is sending you a message through a computer chip in your brain?" Matthew asked ambiguously.

"Yes, were telling the truth. I promise. I know it sounds crazy but it's the truth. We—I didn't want to tell you because I don't know what will happen now that you know," I assured him. Matthew looked at me for a long time, his head slightly cocked.

"You know I could never be mad at you Rebecca. I believe you. But, what could happen?" Matthew asked.

That was one question I could not answer, no matter how badly I wanted to. I didn't know what would happen. I shook my head, letting Matthew know that we were just as clueless as he was. The scary part of it all was what we didn't know, not what we did.

"You have to tell Hannah."

My head shot up, lips thinned into a straight line. Matthew was staring at me intently, a serious expression resting on his features. "What? W-why?" I stammered.

"Rebecca, Hannah is your best friend—your sister. You're lying to her, and that is going to hurt her more than anything else. She wouldn't care if telling her put her in danger."

Matthew was right. Hannah wouldn't care, but I would. I didn't want the guilt if something bad happened. I couldn't handle it.

"Matthew I can't. I can't be resp-" I was cut off by a scream—wait no. It wasn't a scream. It was a cry, a growl even.

It took me a minute to register the sound. A second ear piercing cry erupted from behind me. I looked to Matthew but his fearful gaze was on something behind me. A wave of pain racked through me, followed by the words streaking through my mind.