Chapter Six: We're A Team

Matthew blinked a few times letting my words register. Ty cleared his throat, shuffling uncomfortably.

"Um, I'm going to go to the bathroom!" He blurted out, running off to the back of the cafe. I'm sure he was eager to get away from the awkward and tense atmosphere. I wish I could do what he did too.

"Okay, what's going on?" Matthew asked me, bring my attention back to the harsh reality of what I had to tell him.

I tried to look him in the eye but I couldn't. It was just to hard. My gaze fell to the table, phone clutched in my hand, hidden underneath the table top. I took a deep breath trying to calm myself, but it did nothing.

"Matthew, dad-"

"Jack. Not dad," Matthew interrupted, his lips tilted down in a frown.

I nodded. "Jack texted me today. He- he said you couldn't live in the house anymore."

I waited for a reaction. I waited for Matthew to break down. I waited for him to scream, protest, cry, erupt—but he did nothing. He stared at me with a blank, emotionless expression.

"He kicked me out?" Matthew finally asked, his tone bland and void of any real emotion. I didn't have the courage to say anything. I weakly nodded my head.

"B-but, what? Why? I mean- where will I go? I don't have anywhere to stay! We don't have family here!" Matthew exclaimed, the fact finally settling in his mind. It was so strange to me, Matthew didn't seem mad at Jack or even disappointed. He was just worried about where he'd go, and that was all.

"Oh no! I can't leave you and Hannah there! What am I going to do?" He buried his face into his hands, his elbows resting on the edge of the table.

"Matt, we will be fine. Don't worry about us!"

Ty entered the room, his hands shoved in his pockets. He sighed, "You can stay at my place."

Matthew and I both widened our eyes, blinking at him with our mouths hanging open like idiots. He sighed again, almost sounding irritated.

"Listen, I know you're doing me a favor by helping me find Dr. Belford and I appreciate that so I thought I'd return the favor. I don't want to get involved in your family issues, but the offer is there."

Matthew raised and eyebrow. "You think your parents will let a stranger live in your house?"

"What parents?" Ty retorted bluntly. I thought he was kidding but quickly realized he wasn't. His face was emotionless, but of course, that was the usual for him.

"Oh, okay," Matthew started. "Thank you man, you don't know how much this means t-"

"Whatever. It's not a big deal. Just don't bother me please, and don't question me," Ty snapped. Matthews mouth opened then closed and opened again but no words came out. Finally he just nodded. I looked up at the top of the wall where a small wooden clock was hung against the cream yellow wall.

"Oh! You guys have to leave. We open in fifteen minutes!" I exclaimed, ushering them to the door.

"Okay-okay! I'll text you my address," Ty grunted. I gave him a quick nod before shoving them both out the door. Although, I shoved Matthew softly. I didn't want to injure him anymore. He looked back and waved at me with a smile before heading down the sidewalk. It blew me away how Matthew could still smile at me with everything going on.

I remembered the messages Hannah had sent me and dug my phone out of my pocket. The screen lit up, showing three messaged from Hannah.

Hey! Where are you? It's six in the morning! ~ Hannah