Thirty

Scars can be beautiful, right? Melanie thinks so, at least. Especially on Ashley. She's got a scar on her elbow from falling off her bike. Melanie's admired it ever since she saw it. It's like a tattoo. It reminds you of a past time, whether it's good or bad. In this case, Melanie's new scars were bad.

She hated them. Red lines littering her back, large bruises on her thighs, and not to mention white, puffy scars covering her torso. She hated every last one of them. And no matter how hard she tried, how much she wanted them to just leave, they never went away.

Soon, she became sick of them. After the incident a few days ago, she was done. It was time for Melanie to get help, and she knew it. School counselors could help. With finding a new home, convicting her mother, and giving her all the help she needed. It was their job after all, right?

Therefore, Melanie gained the courage to go to their office. They were always open since no one seemed to have problems. That or they're just shitty at their jobs. Probably the second one. But never mind that, Melanie had her mind set on a task that she finally gained the courage to do.

She walks down the hall, entering the office while holding her pastel colored school supplies. Melanie enters the counselors office and lets out a sigh, staring Mr. Hoppus right in the eye.

"Yes, Melanie?" He turns around to face her in his office chair, quickly exiting out of a tab. They monitor the students more than the teachers for some odd reason. Makes no sense that teenagers have more decency than a forty year old teacher. But oh well, it happens.

"I-uh," She sits down on the couch, letting out a shaky sigh. Deep breaths. She reminds herself. "M-My mom has been abusing me."

Mr. Hoppus' eyes grow wide as he sits up. "For how long?"

"S-Since I can remember." Melanie says shakily, her lip quivering. A tear falls from her cheek, falling onto her thigh and rolling off onto the carpet. Mr. Hoppus nods and stands, going to leave the room.

"Okay. We'll get the police involved. Mind staying in here for a bit? I need to make a phone call." He looks over at her. Melanie shakes her head and wipes her eyes. Mr. Hoppus leaves the room, leaving Melanie alone once again.

She leans back on the couch, setting her supplies next to her. Melanie had finally gotten the courage to help herself. Not others. She'd been so selfless this whole time. To try to fool people that she was okay, when she was in fact not. Just like everyone else.

Melanie wasn't alone in this. No one was. It's just that no one talks about it. And someone out there wants to make sure more people do. It could save someone's life in the end. Everyone was scared, though. Scared of being rejected because of it.

But rejection is inevitable. And there's no point in fearing the inevitable.