Two

Brendon walks into the school nervously, adjusting his hearing aids quickly. He gets a few rude glances but he mostly ignores them. His eyes lock on one teen, who is extremely tall and stands out just like him.

The teen glances at Brendon and smiles awkwardly, quickly darting his eyes away. Brendon shakes it off and opens his locker, adjusting one of his hearing aids. He twists the lock and opens the locker, throwing his backpack in.

A girl suddenly comes up by him, playing with the end of her skirt. She has half of her hair dyed purple and the other half dyed black. She smiles, which shows her tooth gap. "Hey. I'm Melanie and I'm assuming you're new. You're gonna be my new friend." She giggles, adjusting her flower crown.

"I, um, okay." Brendon mumbles out, his voice cracking slightly as he's still getting used to it.

"Cool! I'll see you at lunch. Me and my friends sit in the far corner. You'll see us. Cya!" She giggles and runs off to her locker. Brendon takes a deep breath and grabs his supplies, beginning to walk to his first class.

-

"Hey! Over here!" Melanie yells for Brendon. He turns around and looks at them, walking over and taking a seat. "Okay so, that's Josh, that's Patrick, that's Ashley, and he's Frank."

"Hey." Frank mumbles, playing around with something in his hand.

Ashley smiles and plays with her long, teal hair. Patrick is mumbling something to Josh as Melanie is trying to talk with Brendon.

"So, what do you like to do?" Mel says to Brendon with a big smile.

"I dunno. Um, I read a ton." He replies, fixing one of his hearing aids.

"Cool! What's your favorite book?"

"Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe." He replies, looking over and seeing Ashley's face light up.

"Oh my god me too!" She squeals, moving over to sit by Brendon. He laughs awkwardly and looks at Melanie.

"What's it about?" Melanie asks, fixing her flower crown once again.

"Uh, Aristotle is your generic depressed teen and Dante is really creative and happy but also very brooding and they meet at the pool and they become really good friends and yeah." Brendon explains poorly.

"That seems like I good book. We should go to the library later or something! Then we can run  around town and do whatever or something!" She says excitedly, looking at everyone.

"I have to get permission from my parents first  but... Sure." He replies uneasily.

"Cool!" She smiles and grabs a chocolate from from her pocket, sliding it over to Brendon. "Here, have that."

"Thanks." He smiles and opens the chocolate, popping it into his mouth. The bell to go back to class rings and everyone stands up, dreading the moment that they have to step back into hell.

"I'll cya around, okay?!" Melanie yells as she starts to head to her class.

"Alright!" Brendon yells back, heading to his class. He takes a deep breath and glances over, making eye contact with the same kid he saw in the halls. They both look away quickly, Brendon putting his hands in his pockets. He quickly walks away to head to the gymnasium for P.E., which he absolutely dreads.

-

Brendon walks into the separate building and into the locker room, seeing everyone look at him. He takes a deep breath and makes his way to the locker, not looking at anyone. He slides his shirt off and puts on the district-assigned one. He then stands and takes off his jeans, putting the shorts on.