Twenty

"Mr. Urie, I'm afraid your son's hearing aids have broken." The nurse notifies Brendon's father as Brendon stares between the two, holding an ice pack to his cheek.

"But is he okay? No internal or external injuries?" He asks worriedly, looking Brendon up and down.

"No, sir. Just a swollen cheek and possibly a black eye."

"Good. Alright. So where do I sign him out?"

"Just sign this paper right here." The nurse grabs the clipboard, showing it to him. He takes the pen and signs it, looking back at Brendon.

Hey, kid. We have to go and take you home. Boyd signs, gesturing for him to come. Brendon nods and stands while walking with him out the the car.

They get in the car as his father starts up the engine, Brendon laying his head on the window, staring at the objects that pass by. Complete silence, the way he'll live for quite a bit of his life.

-

Brendon walks back upstairs, crashing onto the bed with a new ice pack up to his cheek. He grabs his phone, noticing a few texts. Dallon.

Dallon: You alright?

Dallon: Can I come over after school?

He sighs, sitting up and wondering if he should text back anytime soon. Brendon sits there, getting lost in thought. Simply thinking about what he'd do without the hearing aids. About how he couldn't function in society.

Brendon finally snaps out of the trance, moving his attention back to his phone. He lets out a sigh and gets to typing.

Brendon: I'm fine. My hearing aids are goners. I wouldn't be able to hear or talk to you so...

He sighs, locking his phone and laying back. He stares at the ceiling and admires the texture of it, noticing the little pictures on there. A cowboy riding a cactus, a weird smiley face, and other things.

His phone buzzes and he looks at it, Dallon texting him back.

Dallon: I'm so sorry. You're probably not coming back for a while, huh?

Brendon: No. Sorry. But we can still text.

Dallon: Okay. Good. Well I gotta work on homework. Want me to bring stuff over tomorrow?

Brendon: Sure. Thanks a ton.

Dallon: You're welcome. Now get some rest.

Brendon: Deal. Cya tomorrow.

Dallon: Cya

Brendon sighs and puts his phone on the charger, reaching over to the light and turning it off. He finally lays back, closing his eyes and drifting off into sleep.