Six

"Brendon!" Melanie yells, running up to him and hugging him tightly. Brendon chuckles and looks at her as she lets go. "So you're coming over for dinner or whatever?

"Uh, yeah." He replies uneasily, fixing his shirt a bit.

"Cool! Ashley and Josh should be coming over, too. I gotta get to class, so cya!" She runs off and pulls Ashley along with her.

Brendon sighs and closes his locker, heading to first period. He glances over and its that same kid, Dallon.

"Hey, uh, I'm Dallon." He says awkwardly, his voice cracking a bit. "Shit, um, what's your name?"

Brendon chuckles a bit. "Brendon. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you, too. Um, what's your first period class?" He smiles, obviously trying not to be awkward or freak out.

"Science. But halfway through I go to speech." He states, looking up.

"Me too. You wanna sit by me or whatever?"

"Sure. I mean I have no other friends in that class so..." Brendon chuckles, fixing his own hair a bit.

"Cool. Let's go then." Dallon gestures for Brendon to follow. They both walk into the class and head to the far back corner, setting down their supplies on the table.

Dallon takes a seat, hitting his knee on the table and grimacing. Brendon chuckles and takes out a pencil, fixing his hearing aid.

"So, what do you do in speech therapy?" Dallon asks curiously, leaning back.

"No clue, honestly. I think we just practice talking and stuff." They chuckle, the bell ringing as class starts. He sighs and faces the teacher, tapping his pencil on the desk. He'll has officially started.

-

"Dude. I told you not to talk to that nerd." Josh whispers, walking with him to the lunch table.

"He's really nice, though. He seems genuinely interested in me." Brendon sits down, grabbing a string cheese from Patrick's lunch.

"Probably because he's into you." Josh rolls his eyes.

"I don't care about that. He's nice. He's funny. What more could I ask for in a friend?"

"I dunno. Maybe not the chance to get raped by him."

"Dude. Not all gay guys rape people."

"Whatever." Josh scoffs, mumbling something to Frank.

Melanie rolls her eyes and looks over to Ashley, who looks incredibly offended. Brendon takes a bite of the string cheese and Melanie looks at him like he's a monster.

"You pull the cheese off, you heathen!" She yells, giggling. Brendon giggles and rolls his eyes, pulling off the cheese and putting it into his mouth.

"Better?" He asks for reassurance.

"Better." She confirms, smiling and putting a chocolate into her mouth. Frank glares at Brendon for a second, in which Brendon doesn't notice.

"Actually fucking stop." Ashley blows up, shooting a death glare to the two.

"Why? The guy's talking to a fag. We're trying to help him." Frank says angrily.

"Well hanging out with gay people doesn't make you gay. Just like hanging out with black people doesn't make you black or hanging out with girls doesn't make you a girl."

"Fuck off, Ashley." Josh mumbles.

"No. Why don't you? At least I'm not being a homophobic piece of shit."

"Josh, you're not coming to my house after school. Go ahead and hang out with Frank or whatever." Melanie says, smiling condescendingly.

"Your loss." Josh says, gesturing for Frank to follow him as he stands up.

"Cya sweetie." Ashley smiles and blows a kiss, waving goodbye. Josh flips her the bird and walks off with Frank.

Patrick shrugs and just takes a bite out of his sandwich, being quiet as usual. Melanie sighs and looks at Brendon.

"You alright?" She asks worriedly, pushing a chocolate over.

"Yeah. I'll be fine." He smiles, eating the chocolate and looking over at Ashley, who is still fuming with anger.

Ashley sighs, smiling awkwardly. "Can I have your number, Bren?"

"Oh, yeah. Um..." Brendon looks around for a paper and a pen, but Ashley is just holding out her phone for him to put it in.

"Here. Dude." Ashley giggles, handing it to him.

"Oh crap okay um..." He types in his phone number and hands the phone back, Ashley smiling.

"Thanks. I'll make a group chat or whatever with Mel and Patrick." She smiles.

"What about me?" Patrick pops up, looking at the three. Melanie giggles and begins to explain.

"Ashley's gonna make a group chat for the four of us without Frank and Josh." She smiles, the bell ringing.

"UGHHH!" Ashley moans, standing up. "I hate class so much actually kill me."

"Same." Melanie says while standing up. They both giggle as Brendon makes his way to class, catching up to Dallon.

"Can I have your phone number?"