Twenty Eight

Melanie is happy. Well, she acts that way. A smile is the best lie, right? You can fool anyone into anything if you have a smile. Especially if it's cute. Looks are more important than personality. If you're cute, you can get anything. Even if you're the worst person on this planet.

Those are words from her mother. Melanie must have perfect makeup. Melanie must be a perfect weight. Melanie must have the best outfits. Or else things will go wrong. Everything will go wrong if you're not perfect. No one can love someone that's unattractive. That's insane.

Now onto Melanie's mom. A beauty pageant queen turned alcoholic. She lives vicariously through Melanie. She obsesses over every little thing she does. She controls her life. The only reason why Melanie and Brendon are friends is because her mother told her that she needed to be more outgoing.

Melanie never wanted to meet him. And it was the worst mistake of her life. She soon fell in love after. The first love of her life was gay. That hurts. But silence hurts more. Melanie's mother would never approve of her telling him. In fact, it was forbidden. She could get starved for a week or even hit with the belt. But it was what was needed. She would risk that.

-

Melanie: Hey Brendon. You alright? 💐

Brendon: Oh yeah. My hearing aids are being shipped in a bit so I'll be back in school.

Melanie: That's great!

Brendon: Yeah. What've you been up to?

Melanie: The usual.

Brendon: Cool. Has Frank and/or Josh talked to you?

Melanie: Oh yeah. They apologized and stuff. 👍🏼💕

Brendon: Good that they finally shaped up.

Melanie: Yeah. I'm glad.

Melanie: Fuck it. I love you.

Brendon: Really?

Melanie: Yeah. I'm sorry.

Brendon: Don't be. I'm sorry. How long?

Melanie: Not sure.

Brendon: Okay. Well I'm gay so

Melanie: Yeah. I know.

Brendon: I'm sorry.

Melanie: Don't be. It's not your fault.

Melanie: I'm gonna go now.

Brendon: Okay. I'm sorry.

-

Melanie gets off her phone, slamming it on the bed. Why did I just do that? She thinks. Not even the narrator knows. The narrator thinks that they're funny with this whole 'breaking the fourth wall' thing. But it's four in the morning and they might just edit it out.

Melanie lets out a sigh and puts her phone on the charger. She stands up and takes off her little pastel pink heels, heading into the bathroom. She washes her face, her makeup washing away into the sink. She lets out a sigh and head back out to go get dressed. But she notices something gone. The phone.

"Melanie! Come here right now!" She hears her mom yell. Deep breaths. She thinks, walking into the hall where she's standing. Her mother's a bottle of wine and the phone, standing there and swaying from the alcohol.

"Yes mother?" She says innocently.

Deep breaths. She continues to think. Deep breaths.