50

Emma

My head is spinning as Jacob is rushed into the ambulance.

This can't be happening. I tangle my fingers through my hair and try to control my breathing.

"Excuse me? This way." An officer waves his arm. I limp from my ankle hurting and walk over to him. Blaire and I were both given grey blankets.

"As you know, your friend isn't in good shape. We will be taking you two back to the hospital as well to make sure you're alright." He says and looks between the both of us. Blaire and I nod, not being able to speak from the event that just occurred.

"Do you have family you could call?" He says, while opening the back door. I nod and pull out Blaire's phone, since mine was destroyed.

He gives a sympathetic smile, and Blaire gets in the back of the car as well. My hands shake as I try to dial my mother's number.

"I'll do it." Blaire softly says, and I can hear the pain in her voice. She weakly dials the number she had memorized and holds it up to my ear.

There are three rings before I hear her voice. Immediately I begin to cry, not being able to control it.

"Mom, we were in a crash." I choke to get the words out. I can just imagine the fearful look on her face.

"Honey! Are you okay?" She says in a panic. I wipe my eyes.

"Y-yes mom. Blaire and I are fine," I take a deep breath before finishing. "But Jacob went flying t-through the windshield." I bite my lip, to keep it from quivering.

She sighs over the line. "I'm so sorry Emma." Is all she can say, to keep from crying.

Blaire takes the phone from my ear, and speaks to my mother.

"Could you tell my dad and Jacob's mom as well." She sighs and looks down at her lap.

They say goodbye and Blaire hangs up the phone. The officer gets in and we drive to the hospital.

-

In the waiting room I see my mom, Mrs. Sartorius, as well as Blaire's dad. My mom rushes over to me, and wraps her arms around me. I lay my head against her chest and cry.

All the flashbacks of Jacob and I race through my mind. From the first time I laid eyes on him, to the last time with blood covered on his face.

I can't imagine how Mrs. Sartorius feels right now. I pull away from my mom, and look over at her. She was sitting on one of the chairs with her face buried in her hands.

I wipe my tears before walking over to her. I sit in the seat on her left side and wrap one of my arms around her shoulder.

She looks up at me, and I see the hurt in her eyes. Mrs. Sartorius doesn't say a word, instead she pulls me in for a hug.

"Who's the family of Jacob?" A doctor says, holding a clipboard. Mrs. Sartorius raises her hand.

"Over here." She says and stands up. I watch as the doctor leads her down the hall.

I impatiently tap my fingers against my legs, waiting for information on Jacob.

-

K guys, there are about 2 chapters left. It's been a fun ride, and I can't thank you for the endless support. ❤️❤️
         - B