This Is War

Kristen's Pov

Everything felt numb. The moment we had landed on Apokolips, we had found a small corner so that we could recuperate and split into squads.

Alpha stayed behind, and since I had decided I was leading, Artemis joined Gamma to help with the firefight. I observed the buildings inscribed with the carvings we had found on the key and the fake pieces. I ran my fingers along them, and a sudden surge left my whole hand shaking with shock.

I stared at my hand and the wall, wondering what had just happened. "Scarlet?"

I faced the other three, gaining some composure. Dick was eyeing my hazed expression, most likely determining if I was good to lead the squad. I ignored the scrutiny and turned to M'gann, "Can you find them?"

"I think so, Rita and Mat had the same neural residue from Psimon," She said, rubbing her temples. "The others should have a similar signature, they should also be the only human things on this planet other than you guys."

She sat in mid-air, her eyes glowing red. I stepped to the side with Dick, to make sure I was prepared to defend whoever or whatever we found. While I was tightening my gloves, Dick pulled me into his arms, placing his chin on my head.

"I know what you just went through was draining, so I need an honest answer when I ask this question," He backed up to look me in the eyes. "Are you sure you can lead this mission?"

I straightened, and softly caressed his cheek with one hand. "I am made to lead this mission."

This is what I've been waiting for, this moment is what I've been training for. I was more than ready. I mean, it was war after all and I was angry. "I got it, I sense them."

My attention jumped to M'gann, impulse, and adrenaline now controlling my actions. "How many are there?"

Her eyebrows scrunched in concentration, "There are three large cells in one area. At most, thirty kids."

"Alright then," I said, helping M'gann steady herself on the ground. "We should get moving."

In the almost blinding heat of the planet, my mind attempted to multi-task and come up with an actual plan. If it was thirty people we had to cover, the four of us would not be enough. M'gann had linked us up, and I kept that line in the back of my head, just in case we needed back up.

We raced along the edges of the factories spewing fire, sticking mostly to the shadows. Every once and a while we would hear something or see a shadow, but never did we get caught. It must have been another story for the others.

We've been made! I heard Kaldur shout in my head. I winced from the sudden psychic intrusion. Hurry and find the others, we need back up now!

Well, there goes my idea.

"Stop," M'gann held out her hand, making us skid to a stop behind her. "They're below us, look for a door."

I was starting to worry now. We had been running for a good amount of time now, and there was no way we could make it back to the rest of the Team in time to help. We covered the area, picking at the walls to find some type of entrance.

Again my fingers were tingling, and it was starting to make my nervous. I moved along the wall of a building as the feeling grew stronger. The sensation became pain and I could barely keep a cry down. Then all of a sudden I jerked my hand away.

A panel of the wall glowed purple and slid open. I shook out my hand, trying to bring feeling back to my fingers. "Guys, um, I think I found it."

"How-?"