Mixed Pasts

Kristen's Pov

"Who's ready for our girls night?!" Bumble Bee burst into M'gann's bedroom, carrying bowls of popcorn and candy. Cassie was right behind her with three bottles of soda. 

M'gann sat in front of me as she painted my nails. It was something Mal used to do when I was a kid. The gesture reminded me of the days where my life wasn't as complicated. Ah, I forgot what it was like to have the simplistic life.

With my free hand, I grabbed a hand full of popcorn and shoved it into my face. "Jeez, take it down a notch, Scarlet!" 

Laughter bubbled up from my throat and Cassie laughed along with me. After this week of non stop simulations and training, my brain had neglected food from my system. I had almost literally forgotten to eat.

"What? I've been busy all morning with both Kaldur and Tornado catching up for our next mission. " I groaned as the memory of boredom sent chills down my spine. "The only time I had gotten food was when Nightwing walked in with subs. They were both for him, but whatever."

"Ooh," Cassie nudged me with her shoulder. "What's up with you and the world's greatest hacker, huh?" 

There was a huge emphasis on that last part. I just rolled my eyes and nudged her back.

"Acrobatics are just not my thing, and Canary told me to train with him this week," The girls looked skeptical, maybe they had noticed I hadn't really answered the question. 

M'gann held a smirk on her face. Time to change the subject. I could feel my face heating up, and without my mask, they could see it. "My non-existent love life shouldn't even be the topic here. I've noticed Robin's been distant lately."

Cassie's teasing smile disappeared. "Tell me about it." 

She groaned and flopped down on the bed. The mattress threw me up a bit since her strength was phenomenal. "I guess he has a lot on his plate considering Batman's with the League. I was hoping that since Nightwing was back, he would ease up a bit. Guess I was wrong. Those two have serious trust issues. He won't talk to me."

Both bat boys were struggling. Nightwing apparently just filled in for Batman. It was just a regular night as a substitute for him. I could only imagine the struggle he must go through when replacing such an...interesting character.

Also, a majority of the League has been in prep mode for the space mission. We've all been on yellow alert. Guardian was always in the mission room, deploying kids left and right. When they came back, he sent them back out again. It's been hard on everyone picking up the slack.

To make things worse, the press has picked up on the missing presence of the Justice League. Why they couldn't be happy with what they've got? I had no clue. But all that matters was that we did the job, right?

"Speaking of a full plate," M'gann closed the nail polish bottle and settled down next to Cassie. Her eyes were closed in the heavenly feeling of the mattress under her head. "How many times has Malcolm sent you out in the past three days?"

"Ten just this afternoon," I grumbled. A Reese's Peanut Butter Cup was placed on my tongue, before eaten whole. 

"Fifteen yesterday. This whole 'filling in' thing has to die down soon," Cassie sat up and pulled her hair back into a messy bun. "At least we're lucky enough not to get the big guys."

"Don't get too comfortable," I replied. I stretched my arms out in front of me. The girls responded with a sigh. 

I haven't been sore since my early days, but Artemis had had this crazy idea that we should play a training exercise above a 50-mile deep pit. We completed the sim, but barley. Nightwing, had once again, careened me the extra few feet to solid ground before the narrow set of monkey bars had fallen into the chasm. I think she was trying to kill us. I needed to get better because I was pretty sure someone wasn't always going to be around to save my ass.