Bruises

Kristen's Pov

I couldn't sleep. Ever since my last meal, my body has been on high alert. For the past few hours, I've gone over the plan hundreds of times in my head. All I've been doing is waiting for the next guard.

My knuckles were white as I wrung my hands. Doubts still circled my desperate need to escape. I wanted my plan to work, but maybe my body wasn't strong enough to make that happen.

The door at the end of the hallway finally opened. I listened for his voice in my head, but it didn't come. Shaking off my confusion, I steeled my posture, sitting upright and staring at the cell in front of me.

"Hello, Scarlet," The man said. His voice was laced with a bored tone, almost as if he wasn't on guard.

I was sitting closer to the tray, and to the bars than usual. I'm surprised he didn't notice this. I watched as he lazily opened the latch at the bottom, and reached in for tray, with food sitting cold on it. "I see you're still not eating."

My eyes flickered up to watch him. This was my one shot. I waited for Max to say something, for him to make me hesitate, but he wasn't there. The guard sighed. He reached into the cell again. I only stared at his outstretched hand.

"The fork, Scarlet," I didn't answer, instead I let a small smirk onto my face. "I don't time for this."

Mumbling to himself, he started to unlock the cell door. Just as I had hoped. I scrambled to my feet, backing up toward the wall. He was reaching out for the fork I held pressed to my back. "I don't think you'll be happy with the consequences."

"Oh, really?" My voice came out in a rough whisper. I haven't spoken to any of the guards in what had to be weeks. This was a surprise for him.

Taking advantage of the surprise, I kicked him in the crotch with all my strength. He doubled over in pain. I wanted to take my time, but I couldn't allow him to signal for other guards. I wouldn't stand a chance if I was too outnumbered. I held him by the neck, and slammed his face into the cell bars, cracking his helmet.

With as much anger as I could muster, I threw him against the wall, knocking him unconscious. I blew the strand of hair out of my face, while trying to calm my storming heart, and grabbing the gun strapped to the guard's back.

I stepped out of the cell, and quietly locked it. My bare feet curled against the cold metal. Slowly, I creeped to the door. I aimed the gun, before pushing it open. I let a breath out to the sight of an empty hallway.

My first job was to find my gear. They had to keep it in a room nearby. So I never strayed more than a few turns from the cell hall. Finally I came across the first door in three corridors. I blasted it open, which might have been a bad idea. It was a weapons room, with my staff, utility belt, watch, and grapple gun. They had destroyed the comms link, the single smartest thing they've done.

I turned on the watch, only looking at my gps location. If I sent out any messages to the Hall, they would intercept it, I'm sure of it. We were in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, as far as I was concerned. I had at least twenty minutes until we docked in Miami.

Great, a time constraint.

I paused to lean against the door frame, and catch my breath. Again, I waited for Max's voice. After weeks of him taunting me, I kind of got used to his presence. His absence was strange.

I hoped this was a main ship. The blue print on my wrist computer was made back when Kaldur was undercover. If Manta was on board, this schematic better work.

My heart was beating so loud in my ears, I barely caught the voice before I turned another corner. "This is our last pick-up. He wants to speed up the plan. They won't know what hit them. After the pick-up, we go to the meet up, and from there, start preparations for the next phase."