Decisions and Black Spandex

Kristen's Pov

My gloved fingers barely gripped the roof of the car. Being the newbie that I am, I had decided that it would be a good idea to jump just before the driver made a sharp turn. On top of that, the driver had noticed and was doing everything in his power to shake me off.

Including ramming the car into a street lamp. Several of them. 

There was a gash in my right leg and right shoulder, and one of my knee pad-braces had torn in half. My fingers had gone half-way numb considering I'd been hanging on to that car for dear life for a good ten minutes.

Sadly, there was very few ways to stop this guy. Continuing with the plan in my head, I let go of one side of the car to reach behind me. It was difficult but not impossible, and eventually I had reached my extendable staff latched on to my belt. Fully extended, the piece of metal was five feet long. Still gripping the shattered back window, cutting my left hand, I shoved the staff through the open passenger window and stuck it in between the seat and door.

If I had ducked into the window even a little too early, the bullets would've blown my face off. That was a close one. He must have had a civilian bought gun because after the tenth round, the gun clicked out. The mag was empty so I took my shot. Pushing all my weight onto the staff and swung my body through the window.

"Sir? You have revolting driving skills," I wheezed.

Smirking somewhat genuinely, I grabbed the wheel and jerked it to the right. The brakes screeched in protest causing the car to slam into the traffic light.

Idiot, a voice mumbled in my head. My first time on a robbery, and I managed to screw up my face. Great going, Kristen. I groaned as I stared at the spinning scene in front of me. Smoke was billowing from under the hood, and police were rushing in on all sides. 

Or was that just my head?

The door opened next to me and hands gently caressed me to the ground. Slowly, my vision began to clear. A face was hovering above mine, a mask covering his eyes. 

His mouth was moving, "...time I'm late, and my job is taken from me. I thought things would be a bit more asterous tonight, to be honest." 

His laugh was a deep warble, and it sounded strangely pretty. 

Wait, a mask. He was one of the heroes. I had to get out of there.

So, instinctively, I punched him in the face.

He stumbled back as I clambered to my feet, almost passing out at the same time. Spots danced in front of my line of sight, but I managed to scale the nearest fire escape I found. My conscious was screaming at me to stay, but I couldn't bring myself to. If he helped me in any way, the whole reason of me putting on this suit in the first place would be pointless.

Panic spread all over my body. 

"Wait!" He was right behind me, close enough for me to hear the light thud of his feet. I had to lose him.

I pumped my arms faster and reached the edge of the building. With a giant lunge, I faked a jump,  twisting mid air so I could grab onto the fire escape bellow just in time to swing myself into the safety of the shadows. Above me, the hero passed to the next building effortlessly. He must've been doing this for a while now. How come I've never heard of a vigilante in Bludhaven? I come here all the time.

With sickening pain shooting through my body, I managed to lug myself back onto the roof. My brain threatened to shut down. Staying in one place was a bad idea. So I pulled myself along to an abandoned hotel three blocks down.

My fingers felt their way around my face. The domino mask was still there, barely, and I had what seemed like a huge gash on the side of my face. I pulled my hand from my eyes; there was blood everywhere. Mal was going to kill me for sure now.

Not to mention, injuries decorated the right side of my body. This was not good, I was a mess. Stupid, stupid, stupid! My head began to spin violently. The blood loss was probably getting to me.

"First car chase?" A voice spoke behind me almost startling me. Almost. 

"How could you tell?" Sarcasm dripped from my voice. I kept my back to the mystery boy partly because I was new around here, and mostly because of my embarrassment.

"Yeesh, I'm sorry. It's just...You know what? Nevermind," He paused, and I could tell he was holding back a witty reply, so I kept my mouth shut. "Is there any chance that you're gonna tell me who you are?"

"In your wildest dreams. I don't owe you anything." 

I finally built up the courage to turn around, and I had to force myself from revealing my shock. He was wearing a black jumpsuit and a utility belt hung loosely on his hips. A blue bird stretched across his chest. The only thing missing was a cape and cowl. 

"Wanna-be Dark Knight much?"

"Ouch, that hurts," Both hands pretended to pierce his chest, and I roll my eyes.

Get out of there, you're stalling. There was that voice again, warning me that what I was doing was wrong. This was not keeping quiet.

"Can you at least let me help you with those wounds?" His voice is definitely hesitant, like he's trying too busy trying to place a memory. His eyebrows scrunched together a bit, making him radiate confusion. And there was a hint of....nostalgia? I couldn't tell with my head throbbing. I was normally good at this kind of stuff.

I started to back away. My own head was starting to confuse me. What was so wrong again about working with someone again? "Wait, where are you going now?"

"Kinda liking the solo act," I reply quietly, although I wanted it to be a lie.

"I have a few friends in D.C., they could help you out, you know," He was starting to raise his voice, as my feet carried me further and further away. "Think about it."

I back flipped over the ledge and into darkness only to realize, I didn't catch his name.

-------------------------------------------

Mal was going to have a fit, but I knew that patching myself up would only cause more blood loss. She'd had gotten so used to my injuries that she had to learn to stitch up wounds and first aid. Last time wounds were this bad, I had been shot by a bullet.

Tears were starting to weld up in my eyes. Fire shot up my leg as I pulled myself in through the window. Mal was curled up with the comforter thrown off the bed, evidence of a nightmare.

My mouth barely shaped her name, before I fell with a loud thud to the floor. The ceiling fan above me started to spin, although I'm pretty sure it wasn't when I had come in. A familiar face hovered above me, and I could barely make out the words.

"Kristen! Oh my gosh! What the hell happened!" The lights turned on which didn't exactly help my headache.

I'm such an idiot for talking to that guy, or maybe I was stupid for running. I don't even know anymore.

Maybe I do need help. Maybe the reason I'm going solo is wrong. Maybe everything I've believed in is wrong. Whatever, too much thinking. I closed eyes and drifted off into sleep. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helllllllloooooooo

So how'd I do today? Was it a good length? Sorry. It's a little hard to get everything in one story without rushing things. I'm trying here.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed, and next chapter will come up soon.

Share, vote, all that nonsense.

Thanks, and stay whelmed.