New Acquaintances

Kristen's Pov

"...I'm at the memorial already. I'll be there in fifteen. There's nothing you can do to stop me," Silence. "Kaldur, please. You said yourself you needed another member. Just see how she does." Silence again.

Who was Kaldur?

"I'll drop her off, and pick her up after okay? How about that?" Nightwing sighed in relief. "I know what I did was wrong, and I will respect you and team if that's what you want. Just don't take it out on everyone who knows me." 

What was the even heck going on?

Not twenty seconds ago I had stepped into a beat up garage and emerged into an alleyway in downtown D.C. My watch had already made the time zone correction and the Sun had already begun rising in the East. I was uncomfortable already in my suit considering we were in almost broad daylight.

I watched as Nightwing continued to argue with whowever was on the other end of that call. The Kaldur guy, I think. His lips were set in a thin line as he listened, his raven hair hung loosely around his forehead, and don't even get me started on that jawline. It was clear this wasn't a comfortable conversation.

"Fine, I'll see you there."

"So, your friends aren't really your friends," I mumbled under my breath. I was still trying to get it under control, since I had such a wonderful talent of making a fool of myself. Sometimes I wonder how I haven't managed to kill myself in the past year.

It's a miracle, really.

"Where is this base of yours?" I wanted desperately to disappear into the shadows or at least change into regular clothes.

Nightwing didn't answer me, turning on his heel and heading for the street.

"Hello? I am not walking on the street in this," I called out. My voice echoed off the bricks but he didn't turn to me. Instead, he clambered up the side of the building through the fire escape and onto the rooftop. "Who is this guy?"

Half muttered to myself I managed to pull myself up to the roof behind him. Nightwing was staring out at the city across the roof from me. But I didn't have to ask.

To our right sat Capital Hill, shining brightly in the early morning sunlight. To our left, just a couple blocks down sat a much larger structure. The park surrounding the grounds starkly contrasted the blocks of cement that went around it. I smiled at the sight, almost too much.

"Scarlet, welcome to the Hall of Justice."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nightwing B01.

The elevator opened with a ding, startling me out of my thoughts. If I had any doubts, it was too late to turn back now.

Nerves racked my body. Every decision I've made in the past twelve hours were being put into question. Since when was it a good idea to go with a stranger to their friend's 'base'? It's not like I can't take care of myself, but seriously. I've never been so stupid before.

Murmurs grew louder as we traveled down the corridor. Nightwing's shoulders tensed as we entered into the light. I was half way through the huge cave hall when I realized that Nightwing had stopped at the entrance. This forced me to stop too in order to somewhat avoid attention, but it did the exact opposite.

The group of teenagers in fighting gear of all colors cut off their conversations and stared at me. All of a sudden, in my measly red and grey suit, I felt underdressed. From the crowd, a guy stepped forward. His shoulders towering over my 5'6 frame. His broad shoulders were wrapped in black lines leading to his back, where two short staffs stuck out.