Good News? Bad News?

Kristen's Pov

The boy in the chair was struggling to loosen the bonds on his hands. It just so happened that the rope holding him to the chair was Cassie's lasso. But having several well-trained teenagers standing in a circle around him didn't seem to make the child any more comfortable.

"What are you going to do to me?" I must say, he was strong willed, and there was no way he was going down without a fight, but Artemis was sure his sister would crack.

"We do not work like that, Mateo," Kaldur replied, holding his hand to the side in order to stop Artemis from lurching forward. "We shall wait."

I watched the inhibitor collar around his throat. I, quite honestly, have no idea where it came from, and I don't exactly know how I feel about having them in the Hall, but it did the job. Mat couldn't use his powers, which was probably the only reason this whole place wasn't up in flames.

"If you think, for even a second, that Rita's going to betray-" He cut himself off, almost as if he had said too much. We all took interest, not bothering to ask questions. Dick stepped forward to kneel in front of Mat's chair.

"You need to tell us the real story or Miss Martian is going to have to force it out of you," He had dropped his voice to a scary level. It felt like the temperature in the room had dropped several degrees with it.

"Go ahead, I can't, I won't tell you anything," Mat spat in his face. I did say he was a strong kid. Dick glanced at M'gann, giving her a knowing look. It was almost like he was telling her 'I told you so'.

"It's him," She said, quietly, stepping into the circle. "It's Psimon, isn't it?"

Mat's eyes widened in shock, and I could detect a little fear peeking out from behind his crumbling composure. The pain that was bleeding into his expression was started to scare me too. He was remembering something. I had no idea who they were talking about, but it must have been bad. M'gann looked pretty shaken up, too.

"He blocked your memories and placed a program in the subconscious of your mind," She stated. After reaching Mat's chair, she placed her hands on the sides of his forehead and closed her eyes. "I'm ready now. You might want to relax."

When M'gann opened her eyes, they were glowing red. Mat's entire body stiffened with panic. I could see him glancing at the Team from the corner of his eyes. It was terrifying. Whatever M'gann was doing to him...it couldn't have been right.

Conner uncrossed his arms, watching in complete horror at what his girlfriend was doing. Dick put a hand on his shoulder, telling him to stay down. I looked back at M'gann and understood what the commotion was. 

She was crying.

Tears streamed down her face in a steady flow, but she didn't back out of the link. The entire Team was gawking at their state of distress. Something tugged at the strings of my heart, pressing me to step forward and wrap my arms around the both of them.

After another five minutes of crying and silence, she collapsed on the ground, and Mat slumped into his chair. Sweat drenched his hair and parts of his suit. You could tell neither of them was ready to relive what they had just experienced.

Conner rushed to her side, helping her into his arms. It took her a second to recuperate, but as she was wiping the tears from her cheeks, she called out, "Cassie, let him go."

Cassie hesitated, but Dick nodded. What did she see? What happened to that boy? He was dumped into a canister of the liquid they were injecting into the other kids....Maybe Dessad wanted them to see it that way.

She had just dug up every memory of training, experiments, accidents, other children dying. This Psimon guy must've blocked it to erase his tracks in the twins' minds. Oh, M'gann.