Santa Prisca

Kristen's Pov

"Approaching drop zone A. 30 seconds."

 Quietly, I stood from my seat. My heart thud rapidly in my chest. I was told the bio ship would just drop me out of the sky, and I was not prepared for that. In the dull blue light, Nightwing walked over to where I was standing. I inhaled and exhaled a shaky breath as he grabbed my hand.

Artemis swiveled in her chair to look me in the eye. You could tell she was trying to hide a smirk, as she eyed our hands. From the attention, I wanted to let go but I couldn't bring myself to. "Don't loose him. He's just a nicer version of the Dark Knight."

Nightwing grunted in irritation next to me. Some part of me knew there was a double meaning behind her words. 

"Seriously," She continued. "This is your first mission. Be careful."

She gave me a reassuring smile, as I returned my attention back to the landscape in front of us. The trees of the jungle were looming below us, making my nerves even jumpier.

Suddenly, the floor opened up. My other hand flew to my mouth in order to suppress the urge to scream. The ground was coming up very fast. Before I knew it, I was swinging among the trees. Nightwing was above me, with a knowing smirk on his face.

He swung us up, and dropped me to the ground. Out of instinct, I tucked my legs under me and rolled to my feet. 

"If I hadn't held your hand when we dropped, you would've died, you know that right?"

Blush crawled up my cheeks. I still stuck out my tongue at him. "Yeah, yeah, thanks. We are not to speak of this ever again."

He laughed, which fueled the flames on my face. "No promises." 

He brought up his wrist to his face, and a holographic screen brightened the scene of the jungle surrounding us.

Beta in position, M'gann's voice filled my mind. Ugh, I forgot how much I hated this part. Why couldn't we use regular communication systems?

Alpha in position. You know the plan, get going. Nightwing replied. He was still staring at the screen in front of him. It was an odd picture, hearing his voice without watching his lips move.

The humidity began to settle into my skin. My uniform was a long sleeve shirt, tights, boots and knee pad-braces, to break the pressure of any falls. So I was not enjoying this weather. The heat made a few strands of my hair stick to the sides of my face.

A bird called out in the night and flew over our heads. The stars were beautiful, it was a shame I couldn't enjoy them. "Follow me. We should be coming up to the clearing soon."

I followed in pursuit. It might have been my fear over reacting, but walking towards our target seemed as if it was too easy. And when adrenaline was pumping through your veins, easy wasn't really the best option.

Nightwing held out his hand, and I ran smack into it. 

Real smooth, Kris. 

He tugged on my arm and pointed at the trees hanging over us. We scaled the nearest ones in a matter of seconds.

I sucked in a breath. If I had walked three steps further, I would've fallen off a ledge and straight into enemy fire. Below, a warehouse rose tall above a factory building. The opening of the warehouse pointing away from us and towards a group of three military trucks.

That didn't sit well with me. There wasn't a third building which meant if Bane was holding any children at all, they would be underground which made everything just a tad bit harder.