Love: A Very Tricky Thing

Dick's Pov

Nightwing B01

I noticed Bruce wasn't in his spot at this time of night. He was most likely at some crazy event on a case. I sighed and headed upstairs. Tim was at the Hall staying with Cassie, so it was just Kristen, Alfred and I.

It was going to be an interesting night.

Swiftly, I bolted up the stairs. I made it to the bedrooms without breaking a sweat. I checked in my room, just in case she was there, before I knocked on her door.

A muffled sound came from the room. Slowly, I twisted the door handle, popping my head in to see if she was fully awake. Kris was sitting on her bed, in a oversized t-shirt and Nike shorts. Her hair was in a messy bun, and on her lap sat her laptop, the screen faintly lighting up her face.

I must have had a gloomy look on my face, because the moment I stepped into the room, she quickly rushed to turn on the lamp beside her bed. "What's wrong?"

A look of worry flitted across her features. She gestured me towards the bed, taking my hands into hers and running her thumbs over my knuckles. Already a part of me felt better.

"I talked to her," I didn't have the courage or the strength to say her name out loud, but Kris knew what I was talking about.

"Oh, oh!" She pulled me closer to a point where I could see the detail on her face. Her eyes darted back and forth, giving me something like reassurance. "I'm sorry, Dick. I shouldn't have forced you, forced the both of you to hash things out-"

"No," I was shaking my head as I tucked strands of hair behind her ears. "No, it's fine. We needed to talk, but I..don't think I'll be able to love her again."

She laughed quietly to herself, only causing confusion. What was there to laugh about? 

"You still love her, Dick. You always will, whether you like it or not," There was a small twinkle in her eyes making my heart soften. "Maybe it's not the same feeling, but it's still there."

Kris placed her hand just above my heart. She could no doubt feel my heart racing a million miles an hour, because she smiled. With a small glance at my lips, she kissed me. But then quickly pulled away.

She laughed at my groan of protest, as she regained the position she was in when I first walked in. I flopped down on the bed, making the sheets and pillows lift slightly. "Whatcha doing?"

Kris grabbed the laptop screen, slamming it shut before I could take a look at the tab she had open. I squinted at her, but I couldn't help the smile stretching across my face.

"It's nothing! Really, I was just.." She looked down, blush peeking out on her cheeks. "Nothing, it's really embarrassing."

"Come on, Kris," I reached for her laptop, but I was suddenly on my stomach with my arm twisted behind my back. "Woah, calm down I'm only-"

The pressure on my back lifted, and I turned just in time to see Kristen walk out the door. Confused, I followed her. "Kris?"

I looked down the hallway to see her slowly making her way to the stair well. Her shoulders were slack, her arms hanging loose by her sides. I watched her back, as she stumbled down the stairs, to the piano room.

The Batcave was still empty, thankfully, I don't know how Bruce would react to a zombie-like Kristen. That could only mean one thing, but I pushed it out of my head. With Kristen in her pajama's and me in my suit, we both ending up in the Tower.

"Kris," She still wasn't responding to me. I followed her into the elevator, always standing behind her. I raised a hand to my comms link. "This is Nightwing to Hall, anyone copy?"