Epilogue

Kristen's Pov

"Thank you, Mr. K," I shouted as I pushed the door open. My mind felt like it had been melted in lava, and I was so happy I was done for the semester. Exams were over, grades were coming and I couldn't wait to see the Team in the Hall.

The past three months have seen quite a lot of change. We moved out of the Tower again, but we had enjoyed our brief stay there. Dick officially received his leadership position back since Artemis decided she wanted to step down. She and Wally had wanted to retire anyway, the stress of being in charge of that many lives should not be put in her hands, she says.

The Light still hasn't made an appearance, and we still have no idea whether to take that as a good sign or not. I haven't had an episode in a long time, so I assume that's the end of that. I hope, more like it.

I was back on the Team, and life has been relatively easy, to say the least. My recovery was quite interesting but otherwise short. Convincing Diana that she could trust me was a feat that I still haven't convinced myself of yet.

Bruce, Dick and I had just put the Joker back in jail, which was a victory in itself. Everything seemed quiet. But there was something in the back of my head saying it was a calm before a storm.

I started night classes, so eventually, I can graduate college and finish my academic career. But for right now, I was focused on getting home. Dick was supposed to pick me up thirty minutes ago, and he was becoming increasingly late.

I sighed again, checking my phone and waiting for a text from Dick. Just as I sat down on the curb to conserve some heat in my jacket, bright lights lit up the front of the building. The roaring beautiful sleek black car rolling up to the curb pulled a smile on my face, but I attempted to cover it.

Instead of opening the door and slipping in, I stood there with my arms crossed. I watched as he stepped out of the car, and jogged around the back to reach me. "I'm guessing you have a good explanation as to why I've been freezing my ass off in Gotham slush for half an hour."

It was a shitty complaint, but making him squirm was quite entertaining. He combed his hair back with his fingers and pulled me closer with one arm. "I'm sorry, princess, didn't mean to keep you waiting. Traffic was hell."

I laughed and pecked him on the lips. Before he could do anything to deepen the kiss, I slipped out of his arms and took my seat in the car, the warmth thawing my fingers and face. A few seconds later, Dick stepped in on the driver's side.

"Good, so you're not really mad," He sighed.

"Of course not, I heard downtown was a mess just an hour ago," I replied, checking my watch again for any new reports. "I'm sorry I couldn't help with the jam."

"Don't worry. But I'm telling you, Bruce will get you a bike," Dick grumbled, obviously frustrated. "If he would just-"

"You and I both know that he's under a lot of pressure with Wayne Enterprises, cut him some slack," I chided, lacing my fingers with his across the cup holders. "Besides, I don't mind the break once and a while."

He nodded and kept the silence as we drove into the city. We were supposed to pick up Tim, but he called in and said he didn't need a ride. The silence in the car was becoming a bit suffocating. I could tell he sensed it too, but I just didn't actually know if he was willing to talk to me.

A light bulb went off in my head. I turned from the window to stare at him as he leaned back into the seat. He was gripping the steering wheel and his lips were pinched into a tight line. Street lights passed the car, with flashes of shadows crossing the inside of the car. He had probably noticed me staring at him.

"It's Wally's birthday today."

He stiffened, and I could already tell this conversation was about to go very south. After a few seconds of tension, he tightened his grip on my hand and nodded. "I know."

That was all he had to say? "Are you going up to the Tower later tonight? Do you want me to-"

"Can you? I haven't actually seen his shrine yet," I gulped, shocked. It's been three years since his death. I brought his hand up to my mouth, and pressed my lips against it, peppering it with kisses.

"Anything you want," I whispered. "I love you."

He turned and gave me a swift grin, "I know."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The group of sat around the wreck room, with Artemis playing against Bart in a game of pool. As far as I could tell, Artemis was winning and Bart did not appreciate that. The rest of us had attacked the couches and decided to watch a movie. Kaldur had never really had time for classics, so I decided Star Wars: Return of the Jedi it was.

It was such a pain trying to explain the Force, and I realized we should've started with the fourth movie instead.

It had been a long night filled with ceremonies and food. It made me wish I had known Wally. I looked over at Artemis again to see her laughing with Bart. She looked happy, so naturally, I was happy. I curled up tighter against Dick's side letting a little exhaustion take over my body. 

Soon enough my eyelids were starting to droop close. Eventually, I slipped into a dreamless sleep.

"Kris?" I wasn't shaken awake, but I could definitely tell Dick wanted to get up. I opened my eyes with a smile, only to be greeted by something full of horror.

He was staring at me with complete fear in his eyes. It felt familiar. I had made him that scared before, and it was then that I understood what was happening.

"Get out of my head!" I shouted, unable to communicate with the Team.

The Team. Oh, gosh, not here. "Get out of my head, you witch!" 

I couldn't hear what she was saying through me, but I knew it was a threat. In the corner, Jaime was in his suit, Artemis had armed herself with the pool stick, and Kaldur's water-bearers were in the form of swords.

It's too late, Kristen Heath. You are now mine. Something flashed in front of my eyes, an image of Darkseid. You are forever Darkseid's.

Slowly I started to rise from my seat, my hands curled into fists. They won't be able to keep you here any longer. You are free, my child. You are his.

I jabbed Dick in the throat, grabbing the knife from inside his jacket pocket and tossing it at Kaldur's face. Without even losing a breath, I sidestepped Jaime's poor attempt to shoot at me. From my side, Artemis came flying at me with the pool stick, but I kicked up and snapped it in half. Snatching the splintered wood out of the air, I pointed it at her neck.

"Do not follow me, or I will kill you."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE END!!!!! DON"T WORRY THERE'S A SEQUEL 

GO READ THE SEQUEL!!!

First off, I would like to apologize for leaving you with that horrible (aka wonderful) cliffhanger of an epilogue. Second off, I would like to thank each and everyone one of my readers. Especially the ones that have been here for me since day one. You guys seriously make writing every day and posting every week sooooo fun.

Thank you guys so much for voting and sharing, and just enjoying my work. It truly makes me happy to make you all happy. You have absolutely no idea what it feels like to wake up in the morning and seeing your support through the comment and the votes. I will be taking a short break, but the sequel will be coming shortly after.

Once I start drafting and publishing, I'll make sure to post the title and the first chapter in this book, to give you all a heads up. But just to be safe, make sure to follow to keep up with other projects and especially more of the Team. Keep looking for more Scarlet, because I'm going to enjoy torturing you guys with the next one. :)

Thank you again, stay whelmed and see you next time!