The Deal (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"How about a smile?"

"No."

"Okay, fine." He cradled Scott's head to his chest and Kirstie was relieved that they didn't start making out again. She really wouldn't have known what to do. Scott sighed, and she was relieved that the heaviness in his voice was beginning to melt away.

"Mitch?"

"Yes?"

"Love you."

"I know."

"No." Scott groaned a little, willing his eyes to stay dry. He'd made so much progress but he needed to get this out, especially now that Mitch was here and being so sweet to him. Scott tightened his arm around him and kept his face hidden in his chest. "I love you. Love you. Love you."

Mitch accidentally made eye contact with a mind blown Kirstie and blushed, glad that she couldn't see his cheeks in the dark. "I know."

"You know?"

He shushed Kirstie and scratched behind Scott's neck, wondering what to say. "Is that what made you so sad, baby?"

"No. I'm sad because our job is so fucking hard and I'm tired."

"I know it. I'm so sorry."

"But stop distracting me. I love you!" He sounded so distraught that Kirstie could hardly stand it. "I love you. I want it to be over, Mitch, I'm tired of it. I wanna break the deal. Please?"

"Wait, what deal?!" Okay, Mitch was definitely going to kick Kirstie out sooner than later. She was trying, bless her heart, but it was getting a little annoying. Also, this was just none of her business. "Mitch, what deal? Don't keep it if it's making him unhappy."

Scott piped up before Mitch had a chance to explain. "He doesn't wanna be my boyfriend."

"What?" She'd entertained the thought a few minutes ago that they might be dating behind her back. "He just made out with you!"

"No, he only did that to make me shut up. He-"

Mitch groaned so loudly that both of them looked over at him, Scott falling silent. "Stop making me the bad guy. You-" he paused to fix his tone. He rested a hand on Scott's chest, trying not to get annoyed at him for turning on him. "You're the one that came up with the deal, remember? Don't be upset with me for sticking to it. We can talk about this later, okay?"

"But you always say that, Mitch."

He sounded so sad and dejected that it made Kirstie's heart hurt. "What's the deal, Scott? I'll help you talk him out of it."

"Oh my god." Mitch couldn't believe they were ganging up on him like this. "Kirstie, I know you're trying to help but it's not something you have a say in. We have a deal that if we're single by the time we're twenty five we'll just, you know... uh, be together."

Kirstie took a moment to consider the idea. "That's ridiculous, Mitch. People only make those deals for when they're, like, forty five and desperate."

"It started at forty when he first made the deal with me. But then he moved it to thirty five and then thirty and-"

Scott interrupted him, growing impatient with the stupid technicalities. "But look at you, Mitch. You're all pink, and it's 'cause you love me too and you don't wanna wait either. I know it, you told me. Please?"