She rubbed Scott's back, frowning a little as she whispered back to Mitch. "I-I'm sorry. I tried to make it sound urgent, but he didn't want me to tell you he was crying. He knew you were busy working on arrangements."

"What?! No, you always tell me when he's upset, Kirstin. Don't do this again." He almost felt nauseated by the idea that he had sat downstairs for fifteen carefree minutes while Scott was suffering like this. "Do you hear that, Scotty? You can always call me. I'm never too busy for you, sweetheart. I'll always make time to take care of you."

Scott choked a little and cried harder, which alarmed Kirstie a little. She wasn't used to dealing with this. It was usually Mitch who helped him on his bad days, and Kirstie clearly was not an effective substitute. She wished she could help Scott, but she could barely even understand him. Why was he crying again? He was being held by his best friend, shouldn't he be more comforted than he was with just Kirstie? She didn't understand it, but she trusted Mitch knew what he was doing by letting him cry. He already looked so focused and centered on Scott that she wondered if she even needed to be here anymore. She really did regret not calling him up earlier.

"Hey, Mitchie? What did you mean by 'be nice'? I wasn't being mean to him." Her voice was small and she looked genuinely unsure, and Mitch's frustration with her softened a little. She really had tried to help, there was no reason for him to be mad. He sighed, pressing a kiss to the top of a still crying Scott's head before turning to look at her apologetically.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to get so defensive. You have to be gentle with him, Kirst, it's not nice to talk about him like he's not right here. You shouldn't have 'made him stop crying', it's not fair to make him bottle up whatever he's trying to get it out. And you're definitely not supposed to make him tell you what's wrong unless he want-" Mitch got distracted when Scott's sobbing got louder and he wrapped an arm over the blond's shoulder, trying to give him more contact. "Shhh. It's okay. Let it out, baby. You're gonna be okay."

Kirstie felt a tug in her heart when Scott started shaking from his sobs and she closed her eyes before she started tearing up. How did Mitch deal with this? It was absolutely heartbreaking, and she wanted nothing more than for Scott to just get it over with. She really thought she'd made progress when she'd finally gotten him to quiet down but she was beginning to understand the logic behind letting him cry it out. There was so much pent up emotion in his sobs that she wished she could reach inside of him to pull out and destroy every bad thing that was making the poor boy feel so awful. She trailed her hand up from Scott's back and began rubbing his side, waiting to see how Mitch would fix this. He caressed Scott's head and held him against his chest as he whispered to him some more.

"It's okay, baby. It'll be okay. Hey, did you take your pill this morning?"

He nodded into Mitch's chest, not taking a break from crying to respond verbally.

"Good boy. What about yesterday?"

He nodded again.

"Good job. Such a good boy. I'm so proud of you for taking care of yourself. I'm sorry that it's not enough to stop this but it's alright, it happens. You're such a sweet boy, you don't deserve to have any sadness in you. Let it out, angel."

Kirstie blushed a little hearing what Mitch was saying to him. She'd witnessed Mitch trying to soothe Scott when his depression hit him hard, but she'd never been close enough to hear his whispering before. She usually left the room when she walked into something like this because it seemed like an intimate ritual, and she was surprised at how gentle Mitch was being now that she could actually hear him. The two usually weren't like this. Being best friends she often heard them use borderline abusive nicknames with each other and then burst into giggles, but honey? Sweetheart?Angel? Mitch's gentle petnames were so far away from their usual banter that Kirstie almost couldn't believe these were the same two boys who'd verbally harassed each other over a video game just this morning.