Chapter Twenty-One

En başından başla

Ever since Addy's father left when she was young, her mom buried herself in work and grew apart from her children. Most of the time Addy hated her for doing it, but at the moment, Addy couldn't be happier. Her mom was safe by being left out of everything, at least for now.

After her mom left for the day, Addy got up to eat and shower again, then went straight back to bed. She knew that she should really be out helping the pack, but she just needed a few hours to recharge. The house was dead silent and she didn't mind. It seemed to have been really loud lately.

Addy held her phone, her eyes lingering over her favourite contacts. She had three: Brayden, Scott, and Liam. Each of them she wanted to call, and each of them she wanted to ignore for weeks. She sighed and tossed the phone back on her bed.

It had been a total of three days since she was brought back from the dead. The whole thing still confused her, but she wasn't complaining. She was alive again, and that was all that mattered.

She never really felt the same, though. At first, she just assumed it was a side effect from her heart not beating for five days, but it was different. She felt odd all the time, except for when she used her powers. They hadn't been as strong the first day, but yesterday morning, when she threatened Theo, she noticed how the flame was a little bit taller and her sword was a little bit sharper.

Addy hadn't told Scott yet, and she didn't really want to. What was there that he could do? Worry? He didn't need that kind of stress. They didn't know much about chimeras, and the fact that she was different from all the others made her question why they chose her or what they did to her.

She spent the next hour just dozing off but waking up every few minutes. Addison perked up when she felt another presence in her house. As if he knew she was thinking of him, Scott McCall walked into her room. He sat down on the edge of her bed when he realized that she wasn't going to get up.

"I know you wanted a day to relax," he started, there was a sympathetic look on his face and this time Addy willing accepted it. She really did want the rest of the day to herself without having to worry about how everything in her life was going downhill. "It's only been a few days since you were brought back, and those days have been super hectic, but–"

"You need my help," she finished for him. Addison wasn't surprised that he showed up to her house to get some help with what was going on. They all felt a little safer with her out there with them. "I know that I'm not going to get a break, not while I'm a chimera and the Dread Doctors are still out there. I'm just..."

"Scared?" Scott offered. Addy nodded sadly, not wanting to admit it. She didn't want to look weak, especially not in front of him. Scott was the person she looked up to most in times of doubting herself and her abilities. He was always the one to assure her that everything would be okay. "It's okay to be scared. I'm scared."

"But you don't look it, and you always seem to know what you're doing, and I-I want to be more like you, Scott."

"In case you didn't notice, Ads, my own beta tried to kill me. I never know what I'm doing, but somehow we make it out. It's teamwork, and you're part of the pack," Scott promised. "I couldn't do anything without the help of all of you guys." 

Addy got up from her bed and hugged Scott. She had thought the wound would have been fine, but apparently it wasn't when she heard him wince. "You haven't healed yet?" she asked, worry filling her voice. She lifted up the hem of his shirt to see blood soaking through his bandage.

"I will," he waved her off, pulling his shirt back down. "Come on. Stiles is waiting for us. He figured out something on the tape that we missed."