Thirty

E'kaj and Kaliyah in the MM.
___

Yalannah

"Yes, it's me." Her voice sounded so soft and non threatening but mine was filled with hatred and disgust.

"You better have a good reason for calling me. After I slapped you, what did I say?"

"That you never wanted to see me or E again but listen, I wouldn't be calling you for no reason. Hear me out." She pleaded.

"What?" I asked.

Kaliyah and I been tight since diaper days. She was like my other sister. She even knew Nathaniel, that's how long we been friends. She was the last person on earth who I would have expected to sleep with my boyfriend at the time and get pregnant by him.

"I was diagnosed with cancer." She cried.

And after those words left her mouth, my own mouth hung open. All the bitterness I felt towards her vanished.

"W-what?" I whispered.

August had walked through our bedroom door. He looked at me, noticing I was on the phone so he moved around in silence. Kicking off his shoes and going into the bathroom.

"I've been in the hospital for months now."

"Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"It took me a while to build up the courage to call but today I finally did."

"How'd you get my number?"

"Our moms are still friends. Your mom gave it to my mom and she gave it to me."

I began to think of E'kaj. So he cheated on me with my best friend and now that she's dying he's all on my nuts constantly. Wow.

"Where's E'kaj?"

"He left me and our baby when he found out about my condition. He ain't shit." She cursed.

"So the fact that he cheated on me with you didn't mean anything? Wasn't that a sign, Kay?"

"It was."

"What about your baby? Whose taking care of him?" I asked in a worried tone.

"My mom." She sighed. "I know this is a lot to ask and I understand if you say no but can you come and visit me?"

August came out of the bathroom with gym shorts on and climbed into the bed.

"I don't know. Can I think about it?" I asked her.

"Of course. Just know that I regret what I did everyday and I'm sorry. I never got to tell you but I'm sorry. If I could take it back I would. I miss you so much Yaya and I love you. I just wanna see you again before I die." She told me and then hung up.

By now I was in tears, sobbing into my hands.

Aug comforted me in an embrace. "Who was dat on da' phone?"

"Kaliyah." I cried out. 

"Your ex-bestfriend?"

"Yeah." I sniffed.

"What happened?"

"She's got cancer, August. She's dying!" I yelled out in frustration and I started to cry so hard that I could barely breath.

"Damn." He shook his head.

"I'm not even mad at her anymore, Aug. I'm over it! Fuck E'kaj! Fuck the past! I just don't want her to die!"

He rubbed my back. "What did she want?"

"She wanted me to visit her."

"You goin'?"

"I don't think I can take seeing her in that state. All my memories with her, good and bad, she's always been healthy."

"God forbid she dies and you neva' went ta' see her, how would ya' feel?"

"I'd feel like I didn't get to say goodbye."

"So what should you do?"

"Go see her. Can you come with me? I know you don't know her but I need you, baby. I can't do it by myself."

"You don't even gotta' ask."

___

Vote 🌟 And Comment 💬.

I know it's short, next chapter will be longer. 👌

- Danielle 🌹