chapter 28: it's not your fault

Start from the beginning

"Where you all talking about me?" I ask.

"Yes." Scott says innocently.

Kira gently elbows him.

"No, I mean no." Scott corrects himself.

I smile.

"Thats ok. I guess you're all caught up on my new 'abilities.'?"

They all nod.

We spend the next hour talking.

Some of them share their stories and how it was for them when they discovered their abilities and how they learned control.

It helps to hear what they have to say. In a way, it inspires me. They use their abilities to help others, maybe I can too.

Lydia is the first one to leave, but not before telling me that she's organizing a girls night for us. There, she wants us to talk a little more about all of this.

"I look forward to it." I tell her.

She takes Mason with her, she'll drop him off at home.

I wave good bye to them as they drive off.

Scott, Kira, Malia and Stiles sit in the living room talking.

Liam and I sit at the kitchen table across from each other, holding hands over the table.

"How are you feeling?" he asks.

"Ok. I have these aches here and there but I'm ok."

He nods.

"Deaton is going to help me. I'll learn to control this soon." I say.

"I'm worried about you." he admits.

"I know, but you don't have to be. Everything's going to be fine."

I smile at him and he smiles in return.

Kira is going home now and she's going to drop off Malia at home.

Malia just got a car but is having a hard time learning to drive. Kira and Lydia are going to help her adjust to life behind the wheel soon.

I hug them goodbye and watch as they drive off.

I turn around and find Scott, Stiles and Liam staring at me.

"What is it?" I ask.

They turn to look at each other.

Stiles is the first one to speak.

"There's a lacrosse game tomorrow night. A scrimmage. With everything going on, I forgot about it."

"Ok?" I say, not following.

Scott speaks up next.

"Well, Stiles mentioned to Deaton that he planned to sit out and not play lacrosse this year, or at least until you were able to control the pain and the connection between Stiles."

"Ohhh." I say, it's all making sense now. "But Stiles, you can't sit out. It's your senior year!"

Liam speaks up next.

"That's what we said, that's what Deaton said. He actually wants Stiles to play and for you to be there."

"Right. I'm sure I'll be able to control this enough once the season starts, and I'll be able to go to your games." I say.

"No," Scott says, "He wants Stiles to play tomorrow night and wants you to be there. He'll be there too. He said it's a great opportunity for you to begin to learn and practice control over this."

"Oh, right." I say.

It makes sense. I'll be somewhere where there will be pain (lacrosse is a violent sport at times) but there will not be excessive amounts of pain, like in a hospital. My brother will also be experiencing some sort of pain and I'll feel it, maybe even on a greater level. This is actually the perfect opportunity for me to practice control over my connection with Stiles without having to purposely cause him any pain.

"Are you sure about this?" Stiles asks. "If you're not ready, I won't play."

"No. It's fine. I have to learn sometime. The sooner the better."

They all nod.

I have no idea what's in store for me tomorrow, but I have a feeling it's going to involve a lot of pain.